Author Topic: Clubs restarting?  (Read 16553 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Clubs restarting?
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:31:35 PM »
Anyone got any views on this? Will you go back as soon as they open or continue to isolate a while longer?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
Re: Clubs restarting?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 07:06:22 PM »
We are considering resuming by holding a deferred AGM in September but are just about to contact our members to ask how many would be prepared to attend.   Depending on the result we will make a final decision at our next committee meeting in August (this may be a Zoom committee meeting).

If it does go ahead we are asking members to bring in items they have made during the lock-down for an impromptu instant exhibition. Our venue is quite prepared to host the meeting but we envisage having to implement Social Distancing measures - not easy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:08:49 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 07:20:09 PM »
Biggest problem for many cliubs will no doubt be the fact that many members will be in the endagered category and sensibly being careful for a while yet. Using zoom etc for virtual meetings will need to be the norm for many fpor a while yet I suspect.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 09:45:44 PM »
We (West Northants Woodturners) are keeping an eye on the situation but presently it doesn't look like we'll be back until the autumn. In the meantime, we're keeping in touch with Facebook and WhatsApp, with a few wood swaps etc going on between individual members.
Like other clubs, there are quite a few older members who are at risk and who aren't au fait with the latest online technology so we'll just have to wait it out and keep in touch as best we can.
Duncan

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Pretty much as I thought. Quite a number of my local club are in the at risk group. Meetings are held at the community centre and I’m not aware of any plans to re open it anytime soon.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 01:30:22 PM »
The AWGB are working on setting up a Zoom meeting for club officers to assist with / discuss use of online meetings / demos etc.

An email will be going out to all clubs shortly...

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 04:18:19 PM »
Since Corvid a lot more of "Older Members " have become more aware of Zoom, Microsoft Team , Whats app, Facebook, Instagram etc as it has been an opportunity to keep in touch with family, friends but also time in lockdown  was an opportunity to learn . Members who we thought were not computer savvy, have now become learnt how easy it can be . Ask your members would they like to try a zoom session its easy to set up  and a 45min is free. The problem my guess at meeting will be social distancing as a village hall that could take 30/40 people will now only be able to take 10/15 .
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 04:42:32 PM »
Whatever Boris or the committee decides I have my doubts that I will be attending club meetings until, perhaps, next year. As much as I miss going I just don't feel it is worth risking bringing unwanted stowaways home with me.
I've been making stuff for the local hospital staff and helping/guiding/teaching a relative newbie via email through the lockdown...... And I'm 'Reet Chuffed' with his progress, by the way!!!
There are woodyturning challenges out there but perhaps new ways of thinking are required, at least until a vaccine becomes available.
Brian

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 05:09:15 PM »
We have been existing with newsletters, facebook(limited numbers) and one zoom meeting of committee. Planning more zoom meetings up to September including AGM. Hopefully booking a professional turner for an online demo as well. Like others we are of the opinion that many members including at least half of current committee will not wish to hold a physical meeting because the space we have access to is too small and under 2m ruling, we would get a maximum of 10 members and then no room to move around!!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:53 AM »
We are aiming to start online with email and live demos.  The initial plan is to phone all members (split between cttee!) to establish how many are happy with Zoom and/or have access to suitable equipment.  Others' experience here would help.  Then possibly a (new) gallery page on the club website.  We hope to restart actual meetings in September, but this will depend upon how things are going and opening of rooms etc.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »
Our venue has said it hopes to be open in July but all this is academic until Boris relaxes the number of people who can gather together. Our hall probably can cope with about 25 members as against the normal 65 if we have to go to 2 metre distancing.

As others have said, we also have to consider if our members are willing to return.

In the meantime, we have been trying to keep things ticking along with the odd newsletter and info on live demos etc.

We have just had an interactive remote demo from Emiliano Achaval in Hawai which went t Cheam, 4 local UK clubs and one in South Africa, direct to members homes. It was well received. Only downside for the demonstrator is that unlike an IRD to a venue, they cannot hear the audience. If demo'd to a venue, we always keep the mic open and this gives some atmosphere to the proceedings. No issues with the tea break chat as you're speaking direct to the demonstrator. The fact he (in this case) was about 5000 miles away, was irrelevant.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
I have been watching a number of Professional demonstrators  during lockdown and also now seeing webisites where they are now advertising remote demonstrations for clubs or individuals which is fine, so now, world access is available, my concern is the variance in quality,  not of the demonstrator but that of the equipment, to do it properly could be as expensive as a  very good lathe . Editing is not an option its live .Have seen issues with broadband width from demonstrator, yes we are moving into a new era and I think its brilliant but it must be done "professionally"

If clubs decide to participate  at a club meeting then how is this managed? large smart tv ? has the venue wifi?, can members not present access?, time commitment ?Questions how managed?  All these need ironing out and probably other points but this should not stop us moving forward .

I know it has been said some members are bit behind on computers but I know because of Corvid a lot have had to grasp the metal to see grandchildren , friends and family some might need help if so other members can help them .

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 04:52:33 PM »
Hi Michaelb,

interactive remote demos are not new, we started with them back in 2017, having Lyle Jamieson demo to us at an outside venue. We then  had delays as we had to get access to the wifi at our venue, which we did in mid 2019. We then planned 3 remote demos to the venue, we had two there and the last one, Emiliano Achaval, had to be switched to a "direct to home".

In our venue, members watch the demo on a large projector screen and we have a roving mic so they can ask the demonstrator questions and get an instant answer. Members who do not attend can be given a link to the Zoom call.

Video conferencing is not new but it is new to woodturning. We (Cheam) and other clubs see this as a way to supplement our live demo program but obviously in these troubled times, we have had to resort to interactive remote demos to fill our program.

The Lucid Woodturners group has strived to educate, advise and to maintain standards for anyone who is interested in rehinking demonstrations, be they a demonstrator or a club. Do check out the likes of Phil Irons, Cindy Drozda, Mike Mahoney, Trent Bosch, Glenn Lucas,  Paul Hannaby and the 40 or so others who offer IRD's and individual tuition.

Some clubs just use Zoom for chats between members, workshop tours etc. Another way to keep in touch with members.

Happy to give you more info if you are in on the AWGB session tonight.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 05:13:41 PM »
Hi David
HI David
Hi David
Hi David
Will be watching tonight

Its great what your club has done and I am all for it and yes the top demonstrators have invested and watched some of those you mention. We are now moving quickly because of the situation thrust upon us, I just hope that when some of the other demonstrators do it they learn from those who are doing it well . Glen Lucas in my opinion is well ahead .   I have paid my money to the AAW symposium for $20.20 great value so will be able to judge them all .

I want my club to be able to get on and do it once we can get back in to the venue .

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
OK, will catch up with you tonight.

My club is always happy to share our experiences with other clubs.

You'll like the AAW virtual as there are some great names in the demo list.

David
At The Cutting Edge