Author Topic: Clubs restarting?  (Read 17220 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Clubs restarting?
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2021, 06:31:17 PM »
Have AWGB prepared a Covid-19 specific risk assessment template for clubs?

If not are there any others available to download from the internet that may be suitable.

Offline Wooddust

• copper
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2021, 06:32:05 PM »

If not are there any others available to download from the internet that may be suitable.

The problem for most clubs is we use somebody else's premises so have to also include their Risk Assessments in ours.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »
So it’s just a duplicate of the venues?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2021, 09:09:08 PM »
So it’s just a duplicate of the venues?
Absolutely not! The venue does not assess the details of your event. Their RA is simply a starting point. There are no short cuts to Risk Assessing something as important as this!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2021, 10:45:53 PM »
The venues risk assess,ment is going to be at best a general one. If your venue is used for say cub or scout meetings or WI meetings the risks are not going to be the same.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2021, 11:03:40 PM »
Absolutely not! The venue does not assess the details of your event. Their RA is simply a starting point. There are no short cuts to Risk Assessing something as important as this!

The venues risk assess,ment is going to be at best a general one. If your venue is used for say cub or scout meetings or WI meetings the risks are not going to be the same.

Pete

I thought I made it clear I was asking about a covid-19 specific risk assessment:

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #126 on: July 13, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
The Covid-19 risk assessments carried out by venues will be different to Covid-19 risk assessments that clubs will have to do. May I suggest that clubs look at the way the meetings have been carried out and what could be done to prevent crowding in one area of a hall, forming a queue to collect subs etc.Clubs cannot legislate about mask wearing but can advise members to wear them during meetings. It is also worth looking at how the chairs are placed with what spacings in between. I think it would be unreasonable to ask a demonstrator to mask up when they will be masked up normally for a demonstration anyway. The social distance from demonstrator to audience is about the safe distance from a lathe anyway. I would ensure that tea mugs are washed before and after use at club meetings too. But it should be down to the venue to supply "safe" seating.etc.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2021, 09:28:18 AM »

I have been following this thread with interest please correct me if I am wrong with all restrictions being lifted on the 19th July
 surely we revert to our previous Club safety rules But clubs still having precautions ie Mask wearing and spacing etc.
John Smith

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2021, 02:20:06 PM »

I have been following this thread with interest please correct me if I am wrong with all restrictions being lifted on the 19th July
 surely we revert to our previous Club safety rules But clubs still having precautions ie Mask wearing and spacing etc.

“The requirement to wear face coverings in law will be lifted.”

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-summer-2021-roadmap/coronavirus-how-to-stay-safe-and-help-prevent-the-spread

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2021, 02:39:25 PM »
As I see it, when read this says that it is no longer law but a recommendation after the 19th. It is basically saying that the government has released its responsibility and expects us all to act and behave in a sensible way. Face masks are optional, advosed in cdertain circumstances but optional as is social distancing. Whether people will act responsibly we have yet to see. As far as RA for clubs are concerned we can dictate what we feel is necessary and sensible after the 19th for our clubs.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2021, 08:05:33 AM »
I think it is very important that we take the risk assessments seriously. The government are relying on members of the public being sensible but just the actions Sunday evening caused by a football match shows that an awful lot of people are not capable of doing the right thing or behaving in the right way so it is down to organisers to act as shepherds.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #131 on: December 11, 2021, 04:06:19 PM »
The latest advice from my club is that members take a lateral flow test before attendance. This seems like a reasonable approach.

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2021, 07:59:56 AM »
The latest advice from my club is that members take a lateral flow test before attendance. This seems like a reasonable approach.

https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests
That's certainly what we have asked our members to consider doing for our Christmas social on Tuesday. Members have also been asked to bring their own refreshments and masks are mandatory except for those when leading or supervising activities.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 08:02:10 AM by Tim Pettigrew »

• platinum
« Reply #133 on: December 12, 2021, 08:38:32 AM »
We held our Christmas meeting last week, probably one of the best meetings we have ever had. But the hall doors were left open as were the windows. Members were asked to wear masks as were the visitors that we had. We did supply biscuits but again to reduce the risks of people "touching" a biscuit other than the ones they were going to eat themselves,we provided individually wrapped biscuits. The cups that the hall supplied were washed up before the meeting, thereby reducing the risk from previous use.
We "secured" an area of the hall where the microphones were and that was where the speakers could remove masks to speak and then replace them once finished. I have to say all of the precautions we put in place appeared to work very well and club members and the guests/public alike all comformed to what they were asked to do without complaint.
I think the bottom line is if you want your club to start meeting again put the effort in to the risk assessment, don't try and do it on your own get the opinion of other committee members and other club members, this stuff affects us all. Help the venue manager by providing what information you can about your club's requirements as that could influence his/her hall risk assessment which could be to your advantage.
The point about taking a LFT before attending is a good one, but it is only of value if the test has been carried out correctly. (basically if you didn't gag you didn't do it right) So do not rely  on that.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #134 on: December 12, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »
I haven’t yet done a lateral flow test but I was under the impression that if it’s not carried out correctly it indicates a “void” result?