Author Topic: Clubs restarting?  (Read 16567 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Clubs restarting?
« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2021, 01:54:12 PM »
I think you are all overthinking this. Members were never liable for giving each other colds or flu. Shops are not liable if you catch Covid while shopping.

When the opportunity to re-open comes there will be some form of procedure that puts liability onto the individuals not the committee or the Association. otherwise re-opening can't happen.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2021, 02:00:44 PM »
Pete, I hope you are right! Until then  it seems to make sense to explore avenues to protect our clubs from any liability. Some of the avenues may also be a better status for the clubs in the longer post-Covid term.

The CIO info posted by Bill21 is useful but that status is granted by the Charity Commission and you have to be a charity in the first place to apply it seems.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2021, 04:37:03 PM »

When the opportunity to re-open comes there will be some form of procedure that puts liability onto the individuals not the committee or the Association.

It’s a nice thought isn’t it but who’s going to implement this “procedure”?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #108 on: April 16, 2021, 05:25:24 PM »
The government have that role, it will be in line with opening of other hospitality venues. Pub doors will open under some form of guidance and that will be the process for clubs too.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2021, 06:54:09 PM »
The government have that role, it will be in line with opening of other hospitality venues.

Wood Turning Clubs aren’t “Hospitality Venues” as you put it though are they?!
I’m pretty sure many of these Hospitality Venues are companies anyway.

It would be nice to think that clubs not willing to go down the company or charity route as previously mentioned will gain some sort of assurance from government that they can continue as before without fear of litigation. I’ve not heard anything so far though to indicate government have even thought of this.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2021, 08:00:11 PM »
We are looking for a new venue, and those that we answer my requests are very concerned about COVID, I think the venues will have some rules of their own!
Ron

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2021, 09:43:24 PM »
My point is until the dust settles and rules evolve for group gatherings be that in clubs village halls or workshops trying to second guess how it works out is a futile exercise. Once the government start working out the basics of events / hospitality venues some rules will evolve that can be applied to clubs and venues alike.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2021, 12:10:06 AM »
I think the insurance question is probably the last thing any club committee needs to worry about. They should be making sure they are complying with the (ever changing) covid restrictions. Failure to do so could result in a fine, regardless of whether anyone got infected...

All being well, there won't be any restrictions after June 21st but that depends on the success of the "road map".

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »
Any clubs looking to restart soon?

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2021, 08:06:25 AM »
Any clubs looking to restart soon?
Yes, Herts & Beds possibly on 27th July (Gary Rance demo) and definitely on the 10th August with a demo by Les Thorne

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2021, 02:08:26 PM »
I think my clubs due to restart in September.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2021, 07:59:30 AM »
I think that as long as the club committee carries out a proper risk assessment, in line with the Covid rules as laid down by the government of the day and that all meetings that are f2f are held using "best practice" at all times then there should not be any problems. Everything should be documented and dated just in case it ends up in court but I very much doubt if any will .(end up in court that is)
The venues will have a responsibility to provide premises that conform to the covid regulations but it will be the responsibility of users to interpret them and ensure they are adhered to.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
We were originally planning to resume on the 13th July but decided to postpone until the 27th when, (hopefully) all restrictions will have been eased (on the 19th). Will make a final decision at a Zoom committee meeting on 6th July.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:27:19 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2021, 07:41:03 AM »
We were originally planning to resume on the 13th July but decided to postpone until the 27th when, (hopefully) all restrictions will have been eased (on the 19th). Will make a final decision at a Zoom committee meeting on 6th July.
Our July demonstrator is due for an urgent medical operation this month. In view of that and the delay in lifting Covid restrictions (from the 21st June to the 19th July), at last night's committee meeting, we decided to hold next Tuesday's meeting (13th July) as a Zoom meeting.

So our first face to face resumption will now be on the 10th August with a demonstration by Les Thorne.

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2021, 04:34:11 PM »
Delighted to say Anglesey and Gwynedd Club had our first live meeting since Febuary last year, and we are committed to meeting face to face and continuing with Zoom so members who dont want to attend can stiil take part.. Hopefullly we should have a couple of demonstrators one for an all day and one evening plus hands on and a couple of members demonstrations . We should be moving to our new home which has far more space and one of the best views overlooking to Snowdon Range of Mountains .
No pockets in shrouds spend it now