Author Topic: So should I buy a "Cornet Herald" ??  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Myturn

• iron
  • Freestyle Turning
So should I buy a "Cornet Herald" ??
« on: December 15, 2021, 02:01:42 PM »
So I want a new lathe for about £1000 or less…
I wouldn’t use it too much, more of a hobbyist and mostly bowl turning.

What should I spend my money on?
Should I buy a Cornet Herald ?
Is it worth the risk to buy second hand?

What would you do?

Myturn

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: So should I buy a "Cornet Herald" ??
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »
Lathes are pretty strong, within reason they are hard to break, so second hand is a good option. Cornet Herald is also a fine lathe, though possibly a little light weight for the specification on maximum bowl size etc.

If going the second hand route I would say you want the right swing over the bed to give you the bowl capacity you are looking for some good weight and electronic variable speed, it may not be essential but it is available and extremely desirable. Weight and speed control are essential for out of balance large chunks of wood.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 07:49:09 PM »
Depends on what you have to spend and what you are looking to make. I have only turned on a coronet at a few demos and wouldn't buy one myself but no doubt others will disagree. Basic rule you can make tiny things on a big lathe but can't make big things on a small one so aim as big as you can. Also (personally) I wouldalwys look for a top quality 2nd hand one rather than a new one. So many new ones are not that strong and not all that reliable. Some horror stories around. The best new ones are usually german or american, not imoresed with the reszt ersonally but older UK ones are potentially woth the money you'd spend on a new one.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »
When I got my first lathe I bought the biggest one I could afford. It spent the majority of its life in bits unused because I didn’t really have the space to leave it set up all the time.  I sold it and bought an Axminster AT1416VS which was great but a bit too short! Luckily Axminster introduced a short (280mm) extension for this lathe and it’s perfect now!
I wasn’t impressed with the Herald control box when I looked at it but then I’m not a fan of membrane switches.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 05:40:02 PM »
I bought the Herald land love it, I added the bedextension and it does all I want. The swivel head is really accurate and lines up every time for spindle turning
Ron

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 06:59:31 PM »
The Herald is good for what it was designrd for , A midi lathe to make medium size items

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 02:39:57 PM »
Lots of wood turning lathes were bought during lockdown. When it ended some of those ended up on the second hand market. Two issues to be aware of which were apparent on a friends machine. There were a number of Banjo’s that weren’t drilled correctly resulting in “sloping” tool rests. Some machines had very stiff tailstock barrels. Both items were replaced under warranty.