Author Topic: Fireball  (Read 1211 times)

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
Fireball
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:41:26 AM »
Chestnut burr stained, painted with mixed metal leaf embellishment. On a scorched plinth.

All comments welcomed.

Regards Kevin.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Fireball
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 09:48:42 AM »
Very dramatic and well named. Not sure about the base, personally prefer a base that doesn't show the grain on pieces like this. How heavy is this by the way?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 09:58:16 AM »
Should have said in the first post that the burr is 6½" and it stands about 9" tall at a guess it weighs about a 1kg approximately.

Offline Huw001

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »
Very nice Kevin

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 10:47:12 AM »
I like this as it is simply different.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:09:08 AM »
Very aptly named. The colour is well-chosen for this piece. I can almost see it flying through space comet-like. Well photographed against the dark background too. I like it :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 10:09:01 PM »
Stunning piece of work....from the base up, just not too happy bout that base.
Les

p.s. it's rather well photographed, too!
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 11:45:24 PM »
Thanks guys for the positive feed back.

This piece of burr was destined to be a small natural edge bowl, but I'm just glad that I never used a worm screw to chuck up first time round and used a small face plate instead screwed over the spikes of the burr (and later filled in) as I didn't have a proper plan as to how it would end up. As it was by not putting a flat then an 8mm hole deep into it allowed me to let the wood to speak to me and after roughing it out the grain of the burr looked like flames and so it evolved.

As for the base as it has been mentioned a couple of times there is logic (all be it my logic) in the idea it's a fireball and it got scorched by it.

Regards Kevin

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 09:02:25 AM »
Personally I feel it would have been better on a single spike and maybe if the 'scorched base' was hevily scoured first to accentuate the grain? OK persnal view but when wood is stained or scorched and the gerai only just shows as here it seems to be half finished. Looks better (to me) if it is all or nothing. When I doi things like thisI never glue up but leave to look at for a few weeks or longer to either get used to it or hate it. Got several pieces I have changed after a while

Just my opinion LOL

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
I really like the outside of the front - the colouring has really accentuated the grain in the burr to look like flames, and I also like the metallic finish on the back side - looks like a lump of space rock.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Just had another look and I have to agree on the stand its not quite in keeping with the piece IMHO. Also can I ask what couring you used?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 03:35:31 PM »
Hi it was coloured using chestnut spirit stains.

Red stain first then heavily sanded back then yellow with a lighter sanding back finally orange then rubbed over with cellulose sanding sealer that I find helps blend the colours a bit more.

Regards Kevin

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 07:17:12 PM »
Nice colouring front and back, but I do have to agree with others about the stand. IMHO it has too much character of its own. With pieces like this you really want the support to be just that. It has to almost vanish into the surroundings, and I am afraid this one wants to have a voice of its own. However, this is very fixable: mask everything out and give it a coat of matt black spray paint.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 08:32:29 PM »
This certainly matches it's name.

I can almost see it screaching through the atmosphere leaving a blazing trail behind it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!