Author Topic: Sycamore hollow form  (Read 943 times)

Offline BIG KHS

• iron
Sycamore hollow form
« on: June 04, 2020, 09:22:20 AM »
Again turned wet kiln dried and returned. 11.5"H X 8"W sycamore with small burrs. After dying I found a few narrow but unhidable cracks running vertically. Well let's put that down to life and use the piece for practicing on with colour and bringing out the grain. So apply some CA to the cracks and off we go after colouring and a coat of lacquer needed to find a way of covering up the stains where the CA had sealed the the grain, so out came the flexi-dive and a design opportunity was used.

Comment always welcomed.

Regards Kevin

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Sycamore hollow form
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 09:25:50 AM »
The 'design opportunity' worked however if you are going to use CA glue give the wood a coat of sanding sealer first as that will prevent the staining. The texturing is very effective as is the colouring.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 10:03:36 AM »
It always surprises me how "design opportunity" can work in anyone favour it certainly did here.

Also +1 for Pete's suggestion as this is how I deal with any cracks that need CA glue even normal wood glue can stain wood if not cleaned up straight away

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
Lovely shape and finish. As a further suggestion on colouring: I have always found that using more than one colour, with quite a bit of sanding in between, brings out the grain even more, as the softer parts will accept more of the colour. Always start with the darker colour first, and in this case I would have finished with a light wipe in yellow. But well done anyway.

Offline Huw001

• iron
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 12:46:57 PM »
Beautiful work as ever

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 04:00:00 PM »
Well that certainly stands out from the crowd.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »
An alternative method of applying a second (darker) colour is with an almost dry sponge. I find it gives real depth to the whole piece.
I wonder if a little more of the texture, so its around 50/50 with the coloured wood from any angle, might have given a more balanced appearance?
Brian