Author Topic: pierced vases  (Read 1242 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
pierced vases
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »
As I often do, I experimented with a thin turned vase made from crab apple, and then decided to pierce it, just by drilling lots of holes and giving the top edge a bit of a different shape. This resulted in the white vase in the first image.
I had some comments that I should try it with the inside in silver and the outside in darker colours, and it might look a little like stars in the night sky. So that resulted in the blue vase (rippled sycamore). And then I quite liked the idea so I mad a third one (green, also rippled sycamore). None of them are very big, the tallest one stands about 8" and is about 2.5" diameter. The white vase is simply finished with spray lacquer, the colours are fabric dyes and finished with PU varnish.
As usual all comments welcome.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: pierced vases
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:35:28 PM »
Like these a lot. The overall effect is one of simple elegance

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:48:57 PM »
Pete's reply sums these up perfectly, I could not improve on his comments.

I like them
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Very nice, If I may though . . . . . I prefer the white one mainly because its inside is left as plain timber
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 09:05:49 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I did the silver mostly because the idea was that it might look like a night sky. I think we can agree that didn't work. In the end, choice of colour and finish is always a question of personal taste. I am pretty sure I will explore this further, with more variations in colour and shape.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »
Love the design and execution of the vases.

I agree with your comment about the silver inside I think a white would help better with the reflection through the holes making them stand out a little better

Offline Huw001

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:06:41 PM »
I have never tried piercing. One day I will give it a go. Cheers, Huw

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Like these a lot too. Excellent

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 05:44:48 AM »
Excellent job, Fuzzy.....those drill bits must have been wel-sharpened before you started (and possibly during the piercing).
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Thanks, Les. Yes, sharp drill bits are essential for this kind of work, and even then there's a tendency to have fuzzy bits hanging around the inside of the vase. I tried to counteract this by covering the drilled area with masking tape, but the tape has trouble holding on with so many holes. In the end it was down to masking tape and lots of sanding after the drilling was done. Plus a lot of faffing around with needle files. It may not look like it, but it's quite a laborious process. However, I think the results are worth it.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 10:13:05 AM »
Yep, I also prefer the white/timber finish but they are all very tasteful.
May I ask if you drilled any of the holes before you had finished the hollowing? Ive been playing around with this method of 'Seeing' the thickness to check it remains even throughout the piece.
Brian

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
The holes were all drilled after the hollowing was finished. However, I did leave a bit more wall thickness on the two coloured ones, to allow for some heavy sanding to remove all the fuzz created by the drilling. I am aware of this method of "seeing"  the thickness, but since I tend to make the decision of where to put the piercing once the turning is finished, it doesn't really work for me too well.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 04:36:26 PM »
That's what keeps me coming back to the lathe; unknown numbers of different routes, occurring on different days, all leading to a common destination.
Brian