Author Topic: New dry-wood store  (Read 920 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
New dry-wood store
« on: June 01, 2020, 09:37:02 AM »
Following-on from my previous post about preventing woodworm attack.....I felt the need to build a dry-wood store as close as possible to my workshop door. I have one outdoor and a couple of indoor stores for green timber, so it made sense to have somewhere to move that timber to when it had dried/seasoned.
Last year I had built a canopy alongside my workshop; just a roof and corner posts, so I paneled off most of the walls and fitted a rack to take end-stacked dry slabs, a load of big knobbly bits and dry branchwood (yew and laburnum). This will make life much easier when I'm teaching, as it's mostly the slabs and branchwood that get used a few times each week, so having it this close to the workshop is great....I might even allow students to choose their own timber.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: New dry-wood store
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
Really envy your setupLes. Thpough I have a reasonable sized workshop I am limited in what alterations etc I can do to it or I would happily have something like your wood store instead of loads of shelves cluttered up.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
Les, for most people I'd suggest that was a couple of lifetimes worth of timber, but for you, maybe a couple of years worth!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:19 PM »
Spot on Les, I see you built it exactly one third the size you need which is the proper way  :)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)