Author Topic: Coronet or myford?  (Read 1511 times)

Offline SteveM

• iron
Coronet or myford?
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:54:30 PM »
Hi all

I’m new to the forum - I have an old coronet no1 in great condition that I use mostly for spindle work, chair legs etc. I do like to turn bowls but to be honest that doesn’t happen very often.

I’ve been given a myford ml8 to clean up and partially restore. It’s not been used for years but has loads of accessories and is a fun project. Once it’s finished though I’ll only have space for one lathe.. I know I’ll decide properly when it is finished and I can compare the two but I wondered what the general opinion would be- which is best?!

Also it does have a few little bits missing (of course!) so if anyone has the following spare parts for a myford ml8 i would be interested:
Saddle for the main tool rest
Quick nut
Levers for quicknuts x3
Bolts for lathe foot to cabinet

It seems the lathe has an interesting history- scraping away the paint I discovered a brass plaque that indicates it was owned by 42 base royal electrical mechanical engineers- 42 base was in Malaya and disbanded in 1957 apparently.

Cheers for reading!

Steve

Offline Redtails5

• copper
Re: Coronet or myford?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
Hi
 Its your decision, look at each lathe with the the myford ml8 you will have a better speed range the coronet there are different speed ranges depending on when it was made and what model it is ie a major ? a majorette ? a minor ? Or a. minorette all this boils down to the attacments that you have with yours.
There should be a little brass plate just under the bed bars that will tell you which model you have , then its down to the attachments you have if any?
This boils down to two points ie the bearings on the myford are steel roller or ball bearing over for the coronet lathe which has a phospher bronze bearing which is a pain in the arse not to replace but which kind.they come in at about sixty quid inc vat.
Next chucks i have never seen a coronet with a chuck on the spindle but that could be me and my ignorance
The coronet has a spindle nose thread of . 875 x18 tpi
The only people who make a insert for that thread dimensions are robert sorby if you do go with the coronet the loading of the chuck plus a blank and cutting forces the bearing will not last long.
I would not choose either because like all things progress has made its self felt even in woodturning
But i understand the economic argument and peoples personal financial situations.
Good luck with you choice have look on u tube for both machined.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
I’d love to see something like that Myford with a variable speed inverter drive and a spindle upgraded to M33!  :)

Offline SteveM

• iron
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »
Sorry, I probably didn’t explain the coronet lathe well - it’s a later model than the major/minor series and it’s called the number 1 . It’s actually a 1970’s coronet/record lathe and I believe a similar updated version is still available from record - the CL series. It’s a lathe I’ve been using for a while so obviously it does have a chuck. None of the accessories you get on those earlier coronets though.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 02:36:52 PM »
As ex REME I'm really please to hear that you are looking after and rebuilding the lathe back to a usable condition.
If at the end, you dicide not to keep it, can I suggest you contact the REME museum (they have a webpage) and ask if they might like it.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline SteveM

• iron
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 02:40:25 PM »
Thanks, that’s a great idea! I suspect I’ll be keeping it if it’s performance as at least on par with the coronet - I like the outboard sanding table and the little metalwork attachment. If I don’t keep it though I’ll definitely get in touch with them 👍🏻

Offline Redtails5

• copper
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 05:53:15 PM »
Hi
Its nice to see some good replies.
What i would say is your cl 1 lathe is basicly the same has coronet, C l = coronet lathe =phosphor bronze bearing = trouble.
I started out with cl3 lathe which i still have.
But its underpowered because of the bearing.
I certainly not stick variable speed unit on because of
The bearing and oiling system.

Offline SteveM

• iron
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 06:45:21 PM »
Thanks, that’s good to know about the bearing 👍🏻

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 02:23:20 PM »
Hi
Its nice to see some good replies.
What i would say is your cl 1 lathe is basicly the same has coronet, C l = coronet lathe =phosphor bronze bearing = trouble.
I started out with cl3 lathe which i still have.
But its underpowered because of the bearing.
I certainly not stick variable speed unit on because of
The bearing and oiling system.

A friend of mine had a CL which he had converted to inverter drive and never had any problems. He used it like that for several years before upgrading to a bigger Axminster Lathe.