Author Topic: Donated Cherry Trunk  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Donated Cherry Trunk
« on: May 30, 2020, 01:48:37 PM »
A friend in the village gave me a trunk from a cherry Tree that had been in his shed for many years.

I've finally finished working it.

The first slice was cracked, so I made an end grain fruit bowl with Les's stitching effect.

Then from the next 4 slices I got 7 Yarn Bowls, the last part of the last slice was too full of cracks for anything so went to the wood burner. But 8 bowls from the log seemed a fair deal to me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Donated Cherry Trunk
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2020, 02:18:19 PM »
That's a fine collection of bowls....I rarely have the patience to make yarn bowls...seems to take longer to cut and sand the slot than it does to make the bowl!
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 02:50:56 PM »
Les, it does.
But I've been asked by a couple of people if I can make them and 3 of these have been claimed before they were made, so worth my while to make them.
Hopefully the others will find new homes once the Artisan Market starts up again, if it starts up again.

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
Very productive and I'm sure the rest will be snapped up in no time. I too have been asked to turn a yarn bowl or two. What dimensions are your? There seems to be a number of differing views on yarn bowl sizes.

Steve
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 07:10:36 PM »
Steve,

Dimensions for these sorts of bowls is very variable, some hold one ball of wool burt I've seen others that will hold 3 balls. Although I've no idea how they don't tangle the yarns.

Then there is the type of yarn, Single Knit balls are a lot smaller than Aran wool balls.

These vary from 7" to 9" diameter and 3½" to 4½" deep.

Something else to consider, I have seen them with a 1½ turn spiral to the center yarn hole, that (to me) leaves an area of weak 'Short Grain' where it could break, so I only go with the ¾ spiral.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 11:00:10 PM »
Some are bowls with lids with a hole in them as well. So many variations on a theme.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Blimey Bryan you have been busy.

Like the repaired bowl it will look better once the wood has darkened with age and the copper wire starts to tarnish unless you have sealed those.
The yarn bowl look good and I like the extra holes for decoration
Yes I have to agree about the size of bowls for example if I make one for the wife it would have to be big enough for the balls of wool that she uses most of the time which is DK

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »
Pete,

I have seen lidded yarn bowls but very rarely and I did not have the wood to spare to do a lid or two, so I stuck with the traditional style.

Derek,

They are all finished with Danish Oil, currently they are sat waiting for the oil to polymerise before the first 4 go off to their new homes. At this rate, I'm going to have to find another log of something to make more.

The two little holes, are they decoration, they are something I'd always seen in yarn bowls, so thought they were for the knitting needles to poke through, or maybe you are right, don't know.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 09:58:57 PM »

The two little holes, are they decoration, they are something I'd always seen in yarn bowls, so thought they were for the knitting needles to poke through, or maybe you are right, don't know.

Most time the needles have knitting on so a bit awkward to poke them through unless it is for a spare set. My wife seems to have a set attached permanently to her hand ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »
The holes are for the needles. Imagine someone is knitting, the ball of wool is in the bowl. You stop knitting and simply pop the needles into the holes so the stitches stay safely on the needles

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 01:11:46 PM »
Derek, I know what you mean, my mother is the same, always knitting and the more exciting or captivating a TV programme gets the faster the needles clicked while I was growing up.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 09:59:50 AM »
Pete, you have not seen the number of stitches she has on a needle especially if making a baby blanket(Three Great-grandchildren due soon) ;D ;D ;D

Bryan I went to make a cuppa the other day and taped her on the shoulder to see if she wanted one I woke her up and she was still knitting while taking a nap and not a stitch dropped. I would not have believed this could of happened if I had not seen it with my own eyes, talk about muscle memory as that is the only explanation :o :o :o