Author Topic: Axminster CBN wheel  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Axminster CBN wheel
« on: May 27, 2020, 08:53:48 AM »
I have just ordered one of these for my Creusen sloww speed grinder - since pressing the button I have seen mixed reviews on the quality. Has anyone got experiance of the Axminster wheel please, concerned now that there may have been better options out there?
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Axminster CBN wheel
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
I bought the 180 grit a few years ago it soon wore down quite a bit finer but I thought at 180 it was too course anyway.It is just right now and it has had a lot of use
I am pleased with mine

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
Thanks George, has put my mind at rest, yes it is the 180 winging its way to me.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:47:14 AM »
It will seem course for a while dont press the tool on it hard just let it rest on the wheel
One of the best things I bought

Regards George

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 02:45:10 PM »
I had a Crewson grinder and Axminster CBN wheel 120 and 180 grit ok for a couple of months then had trouble with noise from grinder, it was as it started up made quite a noise but then as speed grew came out, phoned Axminister  who told me they were no longer agents for Crewson and gave me the number of the new UK agent, unfortunately  was told the grinder is not built for Heavy CBN wheels suggest put back the original factory fitted, did this and noise stopped sold the grinder and wheels individually and bought a new grinder and BN wheels checking that it was covered for the weight of the CBN wheels.

No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 03:02:23 PM »
Mine is a Creusen slow grinder and has two CBN wheels the first one was fitted probably 10 years ago and the second probably 4 years ago used nearly every day never had a problem

Regards George

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
Will keep you updated when it arrives...........

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 08:42:12 AM »
Wheel arrived, but unfortunately the wheel together with the reducers is too wide to fit the shaft. There is no dimensions in the Axminster literature. George what make did you get and use.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »
I cant understand that if you have the slow grinder the same as mine ,One wheel is from Axminster the other is from tool Post.I wonder if they have sent you the wrong insert I would ring them

Regards George

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 11:37:54 AM »
Are you guys sure you have exactly the same model of grinder? I am pretty sure that Creusen have a wide range of models, possibly with slight differences in the specs?

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 08:03:18 AM »
I have the 7500 slow grinder - I think it was because I ordered the Axminster evolution wheel which is 200 x 40 x 15 (with adaptors) My thoughts are I should have gone for the Woodcyr creusen specific wheel, its another £40 though over the Axi. When I get the refund from Axminster I may go for the Woodcut.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 02:04:27 PM »
Ok untill I get the CBN wheels sorted I am looking for a couple of 150x40x15 white or pink bench grinder wheels, struggling to find anyone with these in stock in the wood turning world. Can anyone suggest a supplier or two to contact?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 02:25:05 PM »
My Grinder is the DS 7500 TS I cannot understand why the Axe Wheels dont fit

What did you do with the wheels that came of the grinder.

Regards George

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
The original white wheels are very worn and need replacing hence the change to the CBN. The Axi wheel was with the adaptors a good fit on the shaft but didnt leave any thead for the retaining nut. I did condsider getting some machining done to try and gain something on the width of the wheel and bushes but did not want to risk messing it up and the warranty so i have now returned it, so thinking what way to go next.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2020, 03:24:20 PM »
I have the two wheels that come off of mine one is unused the other is hardly used if you arrange for the to be picked up you can have them.I will never use them

Regards George