Author Topic: Worktop dust extractors.  (Read 2323 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Worktop dust extractors.
« on: May 22, 2020, 07:50:36 PM »
I have started doing some pierced work and the dust that comes off is much worsw than in the workshop so am looking for a small dust collector / extractor that I can use locally. I am working in the conservatory so need something that would be suitable for my peirced work and Mo's pyrography. Looking at some of the nail dust ones but can't really tell from the blurb if they.' re worth it. Don't want to spend much as it may not be something I really get into. Advice welcome

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Redtails5

• copper
Re: Worktop dust extractors.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 08:32:15 PM »
Hi pete
I have the same problem small workshop it was the dust of the sanding that did me, i had a look round and found what i was looking for a thor 810 dust extractor
The beauty of it is pete you can place it were you like for optimum extraction.
They are a bit noisy but you get used to that, but i tell you what they dont half shift the dust.
Hope this helps.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 08:35:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll have a look at that one

Pete

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 10:38:28 PM »
I've got the Microclene MC760 which is basically the same as the Thor 810. They are indeed handy due to their portability and can also be fitted with a variety of different filters e.g. carbon filter for fumes.

To keep the noise down, I use this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDROPONICS-GROW-LIGHT-13A-PLUG-IN-COOLING-FAN-SPEED-CONTROLLER/201936408002?hash=item2f04590dc2:g:KQ0AAOSwstxU6ZYP

Just crank it up to full speed for those moments when it's really needed and run it slower at other times.

Duncan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 10:45:44 PM »
You are talking about a couple of hundred for these machines folks. I am looking for something a bit cheaper. Correction a OT cheaper LOL. Ones I have been looking at are more in the region or £30 or so.

Pete

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 12:20:42 AM »
Buy a cheap cylinder vacuum from Screwfix and make a collector hood for it.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 01:52:34 AM »
Pete, this is probably not a good idea, and I probably should deny ever doing it... BUT...

In my other life I fix computers, When it was really cold a couple of winters ago I rigged up a quiet smoke killer from 3 x 120mm computer case fans which move about 60 Cubic foot a minute each, a shoe box, a metal sieve stolen from the kitchen and a bit o 6mm ply to make my work table, I also found a 12 volt power transformer (built into 3  pin plug) that had come from something I had scrapped, probably an old internet router.

Modified post..

Ebay:
Plastic box 5Litre £1.95
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spacemaster-Clear-Plastic-Storage-Box-Boxes-With-Lids-Removals-House-Home-Garage/391995245245

3 piece metal sieve set £5.83
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-FINE-MESH-STRAINER-BOWL-DRAINER-VEGETABLE-SIEVE-COLANDER-SUPER/184035470543

2 x computer 12v fans £10.98
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12cm-120mm-PC-Fan-Cooling-Heat-Sink-Computer-Case-12V-2-Pin-Wire-Black-CPU/254350933659?epid=13037965827&hash=item3b387f3e9b:g:a0kAAOSwKeBdcQCr

12v power supply £4.94
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Plug-DC-12V-2A-AC-Power-Supply-Transformer-Adapter-Converter-Wall-Charger/332842695921

Drill a set of holes slightly smaller than finger size, the size of the fan top and bottom of box. (I only just thought of that! mine had no guard)

Glue the fans inside the box being sure that one blows in and the other out,

Cut some mesh from a sieve put it over the back of the input fan ( dome it for more surface area) as a spark guard

Optional Filter bag on output fan but an old T shirt made into a bag is pretty good as a filter.

Half descent extractor for £23.70, less if you have bits knocking about.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 12:09:54 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Duncan A

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 10:28:41 AM »
If you want to do it on the cheap (and don't have a stack of computer fans handy), you could do a lot worse than a bathroom extractor fan with a suitable filter media attached across the inlet.
Kitchen extractor filter papers, felt, glass fibre matting as used by Thor, car air intake filter, vacuum cleaner bag - all would serve to remove dust pretty effectively and could just be vacuumed off to clean them.
Obviously no EU or HSE standards would apply!
Duncan

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 01:17:41 PM »
Hadn't thoiught to look for purifiers. Thanks. Some good ideas here

Pete
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 02:49:11 PM by bodrighywood »

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 01:31:05 PM »
Some of them look pretty good, I may get one to try when doing Pyrography.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 09:45:41 AM »
Of course the really cheap option is just do it outdoors on days when it is windy! Look how much I have saved you Pete! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 09:48:19 AM »
Have been doing that John.Just planning for when it is raining. Not sure about using electrical eqipment in the rain.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 11:38:51 AM »
I have an old cooker hood that I am thinking of converting don't know if it is powerful enough to draw fine dust away along with a different filter

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.