Author Topic: Tormek T-4 and TNT-808  (Read 4869 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Tormek-T-4-and TNT-808
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 06:10:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your modifications at some point Richard if you can manage it.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 09:04:49 PM »
Bill picture of my modified Pro Edge.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
Thanks for that Richard. I sharpen most of my tools on a much modified Record Power belt and disc sander. I think what you’ve done is a great idea. I may modify my machine a bit more! What diameter is the rod by the way? I made my existing one fit the Sorby jig.

Edit: This is my mine. An early picture, it’s been modified even more.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 10:42:48 PM by Bill21 »

Offline David Holden

• copper
Re: Tormek T-4 and TNT-808
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
Well, I ordered the ProEdge and got a few belts with it too; 60 grit ceramic, 60 and 120 grit zirconium and a 600 grit trizact. It comes with a 1200 grit trizact belt in the package too, as well as another belt but not sure what it is.

I also ordered a Crown Cryo M42 Razor Edge Bowl Gouge - the 1/2" long grind.

Thanks for all your help again gents!

Kind regards
David

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
Pleased we could help David, that is what we are here for, hope it works well for you. Final thought on it, set it up so you have good access to it, I physically stand in 3 different positions when putting on the 40/40 grind and all standard grinds need me to have good comfortable access to the machine.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 01:33:05 AM »
Pleased we could help David, that is what we are here for, hope it works well for you. Final thought on it, set it up so you have good access to it, I physically stand in 3 different positions when putting on the 40/40 grind and all standard grinds need me to have good comfortable access to the machine.

Thanks Pete, I cleared a space this afternoon with lots of room for me to work with it.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2020, 11:18:30 AM »
Hi David, I bought the Pro-Edge a couple of years ago and haven't used the Tormek for turning tools since. Have a look at Robert Sorby Pro-Edge Hints & Tips video on Utube and also Martin Saben_Smith's Pro-Edge Sharpening Demo Video both very good. Comment about not changing the angle of the spindle gouge attachment, Why Not ? I spoke with the Sorby Guys down at Yandles a couple of years ago about some gouges that were a bit shorter and wouldn't fit into the jig at the correct angle and they said what's the problem just alter the angle that's what it's for. Also if you want something other than your normal 45/ 50 etc then you have to alter the angle so long as you make a note of where it should be for your standard 45 then so be it. I think you will pleased your purchase it does make life easier.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2020, 02:13:55 PM »
If the steel is overheating you are either turning carbon steel or putting a huh=ge amount of pressure on it for HSS. If the angles are already there you only need a quick touch up and ovderheating wouldn't be a problem. Have a look at Bowler Hatted Turners vidoes on Youtube. He uses basic wheels and shows how to sharpen most of the tools you're likely to use.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2020, 06:49:43 PM »
Comment about not changing the angle of the spindle gouge attachment, Why Not ? I spoke with the Sorby Guys down at Yandles a couple of years ago about some gouges that were a bit shorter and wouldn't fit into the jig at the correct angle and they said what's the problem just alter the angle that's what it's for.

The instruction came from Robert Sorby themselves. Early on the way to alter the angle was to change the tool extension - they still sell a jig for this. Realising this was not enough they then introduced the 3 hole boss some years later. The problem for Sorby is that the gouge jig was never intended to be used in this way, it is after all made by Tormek for use on their grinders. Sorby don’t even supply the complete jig. I suspect the original instructions not to alter the jig angle was to make repeatability easier or perhaps it was to sell more bosses and extension jigs? The idiot proof raster mechanism for selecting the required angle for sharpening other tools is an obvious example of their ethos regarding operation of the machine. As you say though there is no real reason not to alter the angle. Having said that it not exactly a precision device and it gives no indication of any angles as far as I can see. Sorby originally just told users to align the arrow with the middle slot if came loose. Axminster tools have taken a different approach with their grinder and require users to buy the entire Tormek gouge jig and dispense with the need for a boss completely.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2020, 07:21:52 PM »
Yes I see the point here Bill but if I need to alter the angle a bit or more likely put a shorter gouge in I will take the belt off Match up the angle to the back plate and then sharpen in the usual way. It's worked for me for a long time.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2020, 07:39:03 PM »
I don’t know why RS introduced the boss if I’m honest. They should just have sold the complete Tormek jig and told users to alter the angle as you have. I expect that tool extension, jig angle and boss position makes things a bit daunting for new users. Having used and recommended the ProEdge many times I must confess that I’m now a fan of the UltimateEdge although I’ve yet to try it. Maybe on another Axminster factory visit when lockdowns over!

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2020, 11:50:11 AM »
Axminster do have a bit of a habit of copying other peoples work and I think their quality control at the factory could be improved but saying that the after sales service is really good and mistakes are rectified quickly. I do like the reversing switch on the Axminster one. I have looked into modifying the RS but it involves a complete strip down of the motor so will leave that till a later date.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2020, 03:38:47 PM »
I can make the parts required for my belt and disk sander to be a bit more like the Axminster. I too would like to reverse the direction as well but not sure it’s possible with my motor either. I don’t intend taking the motor apart!

I’m actually wondering how difficult it would be to build a machine from scratch except I’m not so good at electrics and I know some inverters can be a pain to set up if you don’t know what you’re doing.

I’ve seen lots of examples of home built “belt grinding” machines so I’m sure it’s doable, just a matter of whether it’s less than the £450 that Axminster want?

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2020, 04:44:29 PM »
Hi David, I bought the Pro-Edge a couple of years ago and haven't used the Tormek for turning tools since. Have a look at Robert Sorby Pro-Edge Hints & Tips video on Utube and also Martin Saben_Smith's Pro-Edge Sharpening Demo Video both very good. Comment about not changing the angle of the spindle gouge attachment, Why Not ? I spoke with the Sorby Guys down at Yandles a couple of years ago about some gouges that were a bit shorter and wouldn't fit into the jig at the correct angle and they said what's the problem just alter the angle that's what it's for. Also if you want something other than your normal 45/ 50 etc then you have to alter the angle so long as you make a note of where it should be for your standard 45 then so be it. I think you will pleased your purchase it does make life easier.  Julian

Thanks Julian. I've will check out the video you mentioned. I've been watching a few other videos too including Mike Waldt's in depth overview which was excellent!

Kind regards
David

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2020, 04:46:52 PM »
If the steel is overheating you are either turning carbon steel or putting a huh=ge amount of pressure on it for HSS. If the angles are already there you only need a quick touch up and ovderheating wouldn't be a problem. Have a look at Bowler Hatted Turners vidoes on Youtube. He uses basic wheels and shows how to sharpen most of the tools you're likely to use.

Pete

As I said in an earlier post, I had lost the shape and was trying to profile it again (free hand basically) and it wasn't working for me.

David