Author Topic: What lathe Axi or Jet  (Read 2481 times)

Offline JWCT

• iron
Re: What lathe Axi or Jet
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 01:05:29 PM »
Thanks to all for your input. Decisions, decisions. I have now narrowed it down to either the Axi or the fu180. The Axi 406 is slightly larger and more powerful with loads of good reviews within forums not just from Axminsters website.  The FU 180 more compact but the ability to to place the extension bed  in various positions so a bit more versatile. Unfortunately the only reviews are based on the 2 website's marketing the lathes.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 01:39:19 PM »
Difficult choice. A mate has the Axy 406 and he asked me to go round and help him assemble it. It’s a nicely finished machine and he’s well pleased with it. I’ve also kicked the tyres so to speak on the Simon Hope lathes and they too look very nicely made. I was particularly impressed with the FU-230 but the smaller FU-180 looked good as well.

Let us know how you get on with whatever machine you choose. I’m sure either will serve you well.

Offline JWCT

• iron
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2020, 11:38:01 PM »
After a lot of thinking and researching I have  ordered the  Twister FU 180

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 10:36:58 AM »
I’m sure you’ll like the machine. It’s good to see it comes with a double ended Morse taper to align the head and tailstock. Perhaps post some first impressions after you’ve set it up if you can manage it?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 11:55:14 AM »
Well, it says it comes with one, but in reality it doesn't. At lease mine didn't. However, Simon was good enough to mail me one separately after I complained.