Author Topic: What lathe Axi or Jet  (Read 2483 times)

Offline JWCT

• iron
What lathe Axi or Jet
« on: May 18, 2020, 09:39:18 AM »
What lathe would you choose, the Axminster AT406WL (use to be  the 1628) or the Jet 1640 EVS. Please  qualify your answer
Thanks
Jan

Offline Bill21

• platinum

Offline JWCT

• iron
Re: What lathe Axi or Jet
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
Don’t forget the Simon Hope.

https://hopewoodturning.co.uk/lathes-chucks/twister-fu-180/85/twister-fu-180-woodturning-lathe-without-legs?c=6

Thanks for reminding me.
There is not much more available information other than one video and the specs from hopewoodturning. So its slightly smaller bed length, turning diameter and power 1.1kw same as the Jet but less than the AT406. It will also be cheaper than both the Axi and Jet.
It does have a few pluses going for it but also a few questions. After sales service, availability of parts.
Does anyone on here use it?
Thanks
Jan

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 03:31:44 PM »
I have the Twister FU-200, which Simon had to stop selling as it was virtually the same machine as the AxminsterAT1628VS which is now known as the AT406WL. Simon is very good with his after sales and even got me some specific tool rests which aren't otherwise available from his catalogue. The lathe has done me very good service over the last 4 years, and I use it almost every day. I would not hesitate to buy it again.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
I was very impressed with the range that Simon Hope sells when I saw them at the Exeter show. I particularly liked the FU230.

Offline JWCT

• iron
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2020, 08:48:43 PM »
I had a very close look at the Twister FU 180 manual, interestingly it requires a 16amp fused plug for a 1.1kw motor ..... really what is that all about.? Compare that to the AT406WL it has  a 1.5 kw motor so higher amps but only needs a regular 13amp plug.  The cost  in changing my electrical installation just don't  make it cost effective compared to the Axi and the Jet.
It will run off  the ordinary household  13amp plug  but why it's specified differently I just don't understand. So it's a no from me.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2020, 10:16:19 PM »
I have the Axminster AT1416VS which appears to be the same as the Simon Hope FU-350. Looking at the FU-350 manual this also says it requires a 16A fuse. My lathe came fitted with a standard 13A plug. If you like the look of the lathe I’d contact Simon Hope first rather than just assume it requires additional wiring.

Edit: Oliver’s Woodturning also sell the same lathe and say it’s fitted with a German plug but an adapter is supplied. I’m guessing it’s this type which is 13A.

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/scp3-converter-german-schutzkontakt-plug-to-uk-bsi363-plug-bl-conv-scp3-bk-p163708.html?PROVID=2788&gclid=CjwKCAjwh472BRAGEiwAvHVfGujhl1m1K7DXAfkdoxvUTQjJFiFqzChm1vTIZlHlbHUq6jwV6Dw4HBoC3UIQAvD_BwE&&r=1
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 10:32:34 PM by Bill21 »

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 08:32:33 AM »
I have run my Twister FU-200 with a 1.5kW motor off a 13A fuse for 4 years now and never had a problem with it. It's probably the startup current under heavy load, but I have never hit that threshold.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 10:08:49 AM »
I don’t think it’s an issue to be honest. I think the quoted 16 amp is a reference to the circuit not the plug. I’ve just checked my consumer unit and the circuit breaker for my workshop is indeed 16A.

Offline JWCT

• iron
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 10:27:48 AM »
Thanks Bill21 and Fuzzy for your answers. My paid job is maintenance in an industrial setting and involve a lot of work on PLC controlled inverters and motors. This just confused me since the lathe motor is not even close to 3.0kw which would be the limit for a household 13amp outlet.
Frequency drives are normally built to the requirements of a motor and what it is used for., but then that is for very large industrial motors. These lathe motors are straight off the shelve units nothing special.
A 1.5kw motor amp usage would be 6.5 amps.
Interestingly you should not be using a lead according to the manual that will exclude a lot of turners that do use leads to power their workshops.
Jan

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2020, 12:25:20 PM »
Most manuals are written to cover their arses! even LED fairy lights for the Christmas tree probably have the do not use an extension lead disclaimer, it is fair enough as it is effectively a spur off of the ring main, and they don't know what else is plugged into it.

The 16Amp thing is probably foreign, most countries do not have a fuse in the plug end of the circuit, so discounting that a UK ring main circuit is normally 30Amp, though I know my friend in Sweden has a ring main rated at 16Amp , which has a single 20Amp cartridge fuse at the consumer unit (which is quite an odd looking construction) 

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2020, 04:51:41 PM »
With inverter lathes there is a a large start up current that can trip at the circuit board. A lot of lathe manufacturers recommend a 16 amp type C trip to avoid this. There can also be an issue if a number of machines are all on and on the same ring main i.e. dust extractor, lathe and air filter. I've always put larger hp inverter lathes on separate lines from the consumer unit to avoid these issues.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2020, 05:16:35 PM »
Can also be a problem with dust accumulating and making it harder work to start. Had this with my Pillar Drill, kept tripping and just needed a good clean around the bearings and pulleys.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline JWCT

• iron
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 06:44:55 PM »
Simon Hope says all his lathes run off 13amp normal household supply, the thinking is that either its a requirement in Germany maybe or something lost in translation. ???
With a startup spike then this particular lathe should not require more than 9.5amps to 11amps depending on the VFD.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 09:38:15 PM »
I had a few trips on my shed circuit so I got the breaker replaced with a C type and it hasn’t happened again.