Author Topic: Charwood W870  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Nikos1977

• iron
Charwood W870
« on: May 18, 2020, 12:43:40 AM »
Hi, I am new to the forum and relatively new to Woodturning. I want to buy a new lathe and wanted to know if anyone would recommend the Charwood W870?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Charwood W870
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 10:37:26 AM »
Hmm, not sure I would. Charnwood are not in the top tier of machine producers. The stand looks to be made from sheet metal, which will inevitably vibrate on heavier loads. The outrigger arm on the banjo will show the same issues, and overall I don't think the lathe has enough weight to really support turning off the bed (with the headstock rotated). Plus, I am not a fan of these mechanical speed controls, they only work with the lathe running. You can easily end up in a situation where you start up the lathe on too high a speed and then see it bouncing right across your shop floor.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 11:43:18 AM »
Thoiugh I have heard that Charnwood aremuch better than they used to be you would be better off looking for a decent quality 2nd hand lathe. Have a look on ebay, putin limit of £500 - £650 there are a couple there including a union graduate bowl lathe with variable speed.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Nikos1977

• iron
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the advice, Axminster hobby range looks to be on par with the Charnwood range but have seen some negative reviews about them too. I have been looking at 2nd hand Record Power lathes. They are a better tier brand right?

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 10:29:56 PM »
Quick rewind, what are you looking to turn? it makes a difference even if the answer is "I don't know" I know Charnwood have an improving range of machines my neighbour has a Charnwood table saw which is very accurate and a nice piece of kit.

Most turners would prefer more cast iron rather than sheet steel, however I used a Myford Mystro very happily for a lot of years which had a steel construction.

Looking at it the only thing that would put me off recommending it is the mechanical speed change, the capacity of this lathe is quite big, and that is a lot of potential weight that may start a lot quicker than desired!

My normal advice would be go to tool shops on demo days and get your hands on lots before deciding, but that doesn't work!

But first thing to ask is what is it going to be used for? Then see if you  can come up with a list of desirable features.  and work out from that what you can afford and ask people if anyone has one...

My starting point for a list is,
How big a bowl do you want to turn?
How big a spindle do you want to turn?
How small a spindle do you want to turn?
What space do you have to put it in?
What is your budget? (remember a lathe without turning tools is almost as bad as turning tools without a sharpening system)

I can't recommend the Charnwood, but then I wouldn't recommend the  Axminster AC370WL either. I would recommend you look up the chain a bit and go second hand to make the price work out.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 11:07:30 AM »
I had an Axminster lathe that was very similar to that Charnwood some years ago. Quality wasn’t that good and I wasn’t keen on the mechanical variable speed. I had to move it on as it proved to be too large to keep assembled. As I never turned anything long on it I replaced it with an Axminster AT1416VS which is a much better quality machine. The electronic variable speed is so much better and the lathe is much quieter.

Offline Nikos1977

• iron
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 10:31:01 PM »
Hi TT, so in response to what I want to do. I want to be able to turn large bowls ultimately, don’t really need to turn large spindles but don’t necessarily want to turn pens either. I have been thinking about it last few days and decided to veer towards RecordPower brand. I think I’m going to up my budget to £1000. Would you recommend the CL3 or 4?  It seems to tick most of the boxes of what I want and should last me a good few years.
I have already got a handful of mid level chisels and sharpening system.
Space is limited in my small shed but would fit a floor standing lathe then would free up the workbench space. Thanks

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »
Just out of interest but do you have a source of supply for large bowl blanks? Many places don’t sell what I would consider large blanks and when they do they are very expensive!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 10:42:22 PM »
Yes a friend of mine has the CL4, I have used it a few times, nice lathe quite user friendly and capable. I personally have not turned large items on it, but did help him to lay a concrete pad and bolt it down, and have seen some large pieces of work he has achieved on it.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 10:43:53 PM »
Just out of interest but do you have a source of supply for large bowl blanks? Many places don’t sell what I would consider large blanks and when they do they are very expensive!

Of course they are expensive, wood doesn't grow on trees ya know.... ;D

What do you call large?

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 11:37:10 PM »
Anything over 12” dia and 3-4” thick. I only know of one place that had blanks up to about 18 or 20 inches and they weren’t cheap.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 01:21:27 AM »
Problem is when a tree over 12" comes down you have to get in there, IF they go to a saw mill then they want the central wide boards to sell quick so aim at 50mm planks that can be put through a kiln quarter sawn you would be looking at a tree that is 3' or 4' diameter to get that size board. So yup quite rare and expensive. Which is why I make my own, though it takes a long time and more space than I really have. The thing is you also end up with blooming great big bowls that won't fit in modern houses that don't have room for a sideboard, which also take a lot of storage space until you can find someone with a space big enough to want to buy it from you.... but damn it is fun being knee deep in shavings! 

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 05:26:10 AM »
Hi, I am new to the forum and relatively new to Woodturning. I want to buy a new lathe and wanted to know if anyone would recommend the Charwood W870?
I've had a CL4 for about 10yrs now, use it 3 or 4 days a week for about 6hrs a day, and never had a problem, if I had to replace it I would get another CL4.
Thanks Ian.

Offline Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 07:57:36 AM »
Yes, talk to your local tree surgeons! I have had some fabulous free wood as large as you want. You will need a chainsaw (I use an electric one with a 45cm guidebar) for initial processing but well worth it.
Tim

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 08:48:01 AM »
Yes, talk to your local tree surgeons! I have had some fabulous free wood as large as you want. You will need a chainsaw (I use an electric one with a 45cm guidebar) for initial processing but well worth it.
Tim

Sorry Nikos1977, slight hijack going on... YES the CL4 will do what you want much better than the Charnwood, and as Ian said his has been working quite hard for 10 years, they are obviously a good candidate for second hand reliability as well.

Back to the Hijack, I also traded my petrol chainsaw for electric to stop annoying the neighbours, I use the Oregon one from Screwfix same 45cm guide bar as Ian's not quite as efficient as the petrol one, but close enough given that I can run it at least 3 times as long without being the scourge of the neighbourhood. The problem is once cut you have to season it and that takes space so be a bit selective in what you keep so 4 years later you are happy that you gave it that space. You can speed up the drying by rough cutting the bowl to about 1" thick.