Author Topic: Charwood W870  (Read 2999 times)

Offline Nikos1977

• iron
Re: Charwood W870
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 03:07:23 PM »
TT, no worries on the hi-jack it got me thinking about the cost of large blanks, what I have been doing during lockdown is taking up peoples offers of free trees they have felled or have been lying around gardens while people have time on their hands to sort out their gardens. I also know a tree surgeon who sells at a good price.
Back to lathe choice I am now stuck between choosing between the RP CL3/4 and the RP Coronet Herald.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 03:47:58 PM »
Both get good reviews, I was booked in to have a demo on the Herald but that got cancelled so I have never used one. but the optional bed extension which can be purchased and fitted as and when needed, will help balance between space and occasional requirement. Many demo turners rate the Herald that they get to use when demonstrating. I am sure that some members here will have one and will chip in.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:50:00 PM by Twisted Trees »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 05:10:37 PM »
I used the coronet at a club demo last year and found the stand pretty flimsy of you want to do any offcentre work mind. The lathe itself was a decent one though.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
I can’t say I like the look of the Herald if I’m honest. Looks like RP are trying too hard on styling rather than function. The motor control looks very much proprietary which means if it goes wrong outside warranty it could be expensive to replace. I also don’t like the look of the tailstock lock. The spec though is good for the price. The next step up is around £1,600 for the Axminster AT406WL or Simon Hope FU-180, both of which charge extra for legs.

The motor control on the Herald looks a bit of a faff compared to other makes.

https://youtu.be/gHd4Do6W1R0

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
Also you need to ask the question before ordering a RP herald lathe

They say 5 years warrantee , I understand this is on everything except the electronics so be careful

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 07:04:20 PM »
A friend of mine had the RP DML320 and had three new motors and three speed controllers. Record power were very good about it but he got fed up in the end. They offered to take it in part exchange for a new Herald. I’ve got my fingers crossed for him but I wouldn’t have bought one. I bought my AT1416VS at the same time he got his first RP lathe and I’ve had no problems with it at all to date.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 07:07:43 PM »
Whatever lathe you buy you need to make sure that you have adequate coverage and warranty. My personal experience is more negative with Axminster than Record so you pays your money and takes your choice.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2020, 02:15:20 PM »
I'm late with this comment - but what about the new Laguna lathes that Yandles now sell? I wonder if anyone has experience of them?

Offline Nikos1977

• iron
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 01:23:40 PM »
I would love the Laguna 1836 but well over 2k for that so have gone for the RP Coronet Herald it’s coming Monday 🙂