Author Topic: Last couple for this month  (Read 842 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Last couple for this month
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »
Been experimenting with texturing. Hardest part is getting decent photos LOL.OK. These two are from the same plank of pear, but treated differently. First is roughly 17" 430mm) square with two waney edges two cut and has been turned, stained then textured to bring out the original colour of the wood in the texture, Central boss has been copper leafed. It is on a slice of chestnut burr with a pear angleed bracket that it drops into.  Second piece is 15"(380mm) X 9" (230mm) and has been turned and stained with an ageing spray after being textured in 6 different panels around it.  Love the spray as it gives a sort of leather effect on the wood. Base is a scrap end of burr hat has been used to make a stand. Not 100% sure about the first one myself but Mo likes it so that settles that LOL. Seriously it os very gothic and will be an acquired taste. C&C welcome as always.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Last couple for this month
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
The main panel of the first piece is really rather beautiful, quite artistic and sculptural. But when put together with the stand, there is a bit too much going on (for me). The colour and shape of the angled section of the stand seems to grate with the rest, and the stand as a whole detracts from the main body. But this is very subjective and just my opinion.
On the other hand, the second piece I find works magnificently as a whole. The patterning (is that a word?) and the 3D form of the main section look faultless and has a great deal of interest. With this piece - to my eyes - the stand is perfect and brings additional interest that compliments and adds to, rather than detracts from, the overall. Just my tuppence-worth. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had your skills :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »
Thank you Mike. I sort of agree with you on the first one. Surprisingly difficult trying to get a way of supporting it on the corner and as it can be slotted in it can be changed at some point if necessary. Always leave room for adaptation LOL.

Pete

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 03:03:46 PM »
Good point.
I found myself thinking "is there a way to support that main panel 'invisibly'? ".  The corner is sort of 'lost' in the bracket of the support. I think it would be better if you could see that corner, either by supporting that corner with a thin metal rod going into the corner itself, or in some way, from behind. For me, the main show is the 'panel'.
Keep 'em coming :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
The wood is too thin to have anything inserted. Only other way would be to have a piece going up the back as I did with this piece. Considered that but as the piece is so large it would have tp be a pretty hefty piece to support properly. This'll be lying around for a good while as Mo and I think about alternatives. Just changed the base on another one that was too big and bulky

Pete