Author Topic: Hollow form  (Read 1055 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Hollow form
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:38:36 AM »
Cedar hollow form I made some time ago and has been lying around waiting for ideas. I have textured it by scouring with a wire brush at high speed then ebonised. The fu=inial has been japanned with a hard black lacquer and the collar and base wih a hard red lacquer. Like the contrast etween the textured body and the high gloss of the finial and base. Size it is 7 1/2" (190mm) tall with a 7" (180mm) finial and is 4 1/2" (113mm) at its widest point. C&C welcome as always

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Hollow form
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »
I like the form of this piece and the colour choices. The only piece that does not look right for me is the very top of the finial it looks to large and takes away from the rest of it. The design of that part is good just feel it need scaling down

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:47:01 PM »
Interesting Derek, I made another finial yesterday and that was far too big at the top so made this one instead LOL. Like most things I make I will keep looking at it and may come back to it.Have a box of finials that adin't work with other pieces so may end up in there LOL.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 12:55:06 PM »
I think it is like most things everybody has a different view on things it does not mean that it is right or wrong but I always find it interesting to hear those when I show a piece, it makes me look twice at a piece.

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 01:40:46 PM »
I like the overall form and the texture of the body. I think the finial is too long. I think it would be interesting to keep the design/size at the bottom of the finial but reduce the height by half and finish in a simple elegant point. But such things are very subjective and it IS a lovely piece of work :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »
Thank ypu both. Just out of interest, I deliberately wanted a longer finial to offset the chunky hollow form. Tried a shorter one and to me it looked silly. As said i teresting how we all see things differently. I too leave things open fpr change when I make them just in case.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
Pete, the texture you've created on the vase is reminiscent to the grain of well worn leather or at least the bit in the photo does, very clever.

Can I ask what you use a a lacquer paint, I've not found anything since International Paints stopped making their Japanning lacquer.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 07:51:20 PM »
For the japanning effect I have pinched the idea from a furniture designer. I go over the wood with car body filler and make sure it is well rubbed into the grain. When dry I sand back and this gives a really smlooth finish and removes all residue of grain (particularly on oak ash etc) I then use car paint. Spray and sand with 400, spray and sand with 400 etc etc etc until you have what is almost a plastic look. This is finally sanded back and given a good polish with either microcrystalline or carnauba. Do this carefully though. If you do it with buffing wheels and go too hard the paint will melt and you have to restart all over again. DAMHIK I tend to spray each piece just before locking up as with the slightest dust in the air you get a totally different texture which actually can be quite effective but not that smooth finish you want for japanning.

Hope this nelps
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:54:50 AM by bodrighywood »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 08:10:39 PM »
That texture is amazing, I really like it.....also, I'm in agreement about the top of the finial. The eyeflows up the line of the hollow form and onwards, up thhe finial, then comes to a sudden stop at that heavy detail.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 10:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the answer Pete, damn, I was hoping you'd found a replacement for Japlac.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!