Author Topic: What do member expect form the AWGB  (Read 23440 times)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
Re: What do member expect form the AWGB
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 06:11:57 PM »
Re Ian's reply no 47:

I'd be interested to know more about how you use the  Paypal system. A lot of our overseas licensees use it to pay us for music rights and in that case, it's a straight transfer from one email account to another. Not sure how it would work in a Craft Fair environment???

Ian, can you enlighten us please?

Original query was about being able to offer a card facility to potential purchasers at Fairs, Shows and other events.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Andy Coates

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
If you've got a broadband dongle, or your smart phone can provide a portable wifi hotspot, or even if you can access a BTFon site via a laptop/ipad, smart phone Etc., you can have customers pay via paypal from a craft event. The problem is convincing the uninitiated that your phone/ipad/laptop will not store the data.

For the "part-time" seller it's worth noting that there's a ceiling at which paypal notify HMRC of your "takings".

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:52 PM »
Re Ian's reply no 47:

I'd be interested to know more about how you use the  Paypal system. A lot of our overseas licensees use it to pay us for music rights and in that case, it's a straight transfer from one email account to another. Not sure how it would work in a Craft Fair environment???

Ian, can you enlighten us please?

Original query was about being able to offer a card facility to potential purchasers at Fairs, Shows and other events.

David

As Andy said you can use a phone or laptop to use pay using pay pal or for £20  pounds a month you can have what is known as a virtual terminal were the customer could enter their own details on to pay pal witch is a n encrypted site people have come to trust PayPal if you look on any PayPal transaction (try it with my site) the web address bar will have a green padlock in front of the address showing that all the data is encrypted

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 07:51:28 AM »
The PayPal website is very informative. 

Ian I have sent you an email about your offer of help. 

Cheers Dave

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 08:29:12 AM »
Hi David have replied thanks ian

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 11:52:55 AM »
Ian,

Thanks -all helpful. It does seem Paypal might be useful in certain circumstances- I can see a use for the AWGB for example.

If you're on site at a Fair, the only problem of course is getting a connection to the net plus the public's perception that the system is not secure. You may have all the PCI certificates going but if they don't trust the system or you, you don't get a sale.

Again the virtual terminal is a good idea-the AAW scheme offers this and also do 123send. (I do wish they would call  me back)

The main advantages chip/pin machines seem to have over the other systems is that with GPRS, there is no problem about a signal anywhere and the public are used to using them. This makes the minimal outlay worth while -for me anyway.

David

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2012, 06:11:32 PM »
A new service is being trialed where you use your smart phone and an add on supplied by them.   There is no sign  up or monthly fees you just pay a bit more per transaction.   

Details here https://mobile.worldpay.com/

john

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:41 PM »
Thanks John, that looks interesting. Charges are high at 65p (I pay 25p) and you have the capital cost of a smartphone & contract. Still, worth looking at.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »
Hi David, I agree the charges are a lot more than I pay as well but if you already have one of the smartphones they use, which a lot of people do, then there is very little cost involved.   

It would depend on how many transactions you do per year as to how economic it would be.   I havent done the sums properlly yet but if I had a smartphone already and only do a few shows a year it could work out a lot cheaper.

john

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Follow-up on the credit card facility discussion:

I've now received a proposal from 123Send which has gone to Dave Atkinson to consider.

Rates compare favourably with Paypal for machine hire and are better on processing costs. Only problem is the merchant account (needed for Paypal as well) but fees may be waived for this, depending on the level of take-up if the AWGB agree to the deal.

The AAW  deal with First Data is still the best so far but you do need to have a US bank account-a stumbling block as far as we are concerned.

We all have different needs for c c facilities so each unto their own!

David

David
At The Cutting Edge