Author Topic: What do member expect form the AWGB  (Read 23255 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Re: What do member expect form the AWGB
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:52 PM »
Hi all,
        I've been on holiday so missed this thread to begin with. On the question of committee membership I think there are 2 distinct types , those that do and those that don't and this probably applies to any type of club. Those that do are not necessarily the best people to have all the time, from experience some should never be allowed to sit on committee but you can end up stuck with them due to no one else coming forward. I am lucky in my club that we have a good comte that has sat from the start. For those that don't there may be many reasons why not, of course apathy could be one but imagine if you sat in meetings all day for living, the last thing you would want to do in your leisure time is attend more meetings. I had never chaired a meeting before forming the club and found the idea of it quite daunting and I do wonder if there is a need for some sort of committee training just to give advice about these things.
     As far as membership goes ,again from experience, it doesn't matter how much publicity you get there will always be some one who turns up and says "I never knew you existed" and there will be those that do not read magazines so we will never succeed in reaching every turner in the country.
 So this brings me on to the title subject. In common with a lot of turners I am an ex-serviceman, as a turner I still wanted the comrade ship and cameraderie of days(years) gone by. I didn't get if from the AWGB but I certainly got it and still get it from their members, ex service or not. I wanted to improve my woodturning skills but could not afford lessons but due to the ever giving nature of turners I was allowed to pick up bits of help and advice, similar to what happens here on the forum, free of charge. I am now a professional turner but judging by the questions asked of me when demonstrating at clubs or shows other turners are in the same boat , now because I was given the help when I needed it most I feel compelled to help others out now,  as an adult educator I needed to teach and the AWGB has given me the platform on which to do it ie. youth training. So I echo whoever said "ask not what the AWGB can do for you "etc. but actually when you are in a position to put something back I have to say it makes you feel good.
Not sure if I've lost the plot here or not but I'll post it anyway. :-[
Regards
John BHT

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
Now back from the USA and picking up on the CC facility.

My card man has gone awol for a few days.

The banks only look at an account that will generate more than £10K pa for a cc facility - so say my bank (Lloyds)

Elavon Services offer the best deal or so say Lloyds TSB

I;ll call First Data Systems tonight to find out more about the AAW scheme.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 05:43:44 PM »
David it might be worth having a word with 123 send http://www.123send.net/ I get my system through them very good deals.

john

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »
Thanks John. Had  a quick look at their website and remember them from when I was investigating my facility. They do offer group deals and also a virtual facility similar to the one offered by the AAW's people.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Can someone explain to me what having a Credit Card facility will benefit both the AWGB and the Members?Regards John
John Smith

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
You could investigate using PayPall. That way you do not have to set up a merchant account.

A big benefit for me when I buy through PayPall is that wherever I buy from, I get charged in stirling so do not get charged by my bank.

Being able to to join the AWGB by completing a form and paying on line would benefit thouse who do not like completing paper forms, paying by cheque or paying an ever increasing amount to use a postal service they have lost trust in. Paying by credit, charge or debit card is becoming so commonplace that it is the preferred method for many people. We may have no choice in the future when the banks get their way and scrap cheque books.

Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
I use PayPal a lot. I have an account with them for my business but you don't need an account to use PayPal, use can use you normal credit card.  This would be a better way then a credit card account in my mind.

The down side is the the commission but this is only 3% or 4% would have to check, but you have to pay chargers to pay in cheques if you have a business account so this cancel out.

This may be a good system to pay for the membership and any other payments to the AWGB I would use this to pay.

Philip

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 03:13:39 PM »
To answer John's question above:

1. Benefits to members are that the majority of sales made at fairs and other events are by card. You can lose sales if you do not offer this facility.
2. Benefits to the AWGB are that a lot of members prefer to pay by card (see comments above as well)

Paypal is a good option but you need to have a computer link to do the deal - OK for those with an iPhone and a weblink, not for others.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »
Hi David,Thanks for that explanation. Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
If I read the tone of this conversation correctly it began with a notion that the AWGB could in some way broker a deal whereby we could offer a chip & pin service for members. If this is the case then (personally) I can't see it happening. For one thing I doubt we could offer a sufficient number of potential new customers for the provider, for another, there are any number of companies offering the same facility already. There is little in the range of costs, a % point here and there, a set up fee or not.

Santander (check because I don't know if recent events have changd this) offer a small business account with a c&p facility tagged on.

The Market Traders Federation also offer a service through a provider, although you will require a merchant account, some of which require a £5000 initial deposit to open the account.

There is another company...see attached pic...that says you can have a c&p service with a personal account for about £1 per day. Doesn't seem like much but if you don't make any deposits for a few weeks that's dead money.

In regard to how members pay their subscriptions...watch this space...the work is already in hand...

Hope this helps

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
I've just sent an email to Dave Atkinson with all the info gathered so far, including how the AAW deal works.

Thanks for all the other suggestions, these have been included in the note.

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
Hi

I've received David's email and will consider the information he has provided, and I have replied already to him on this issue..

The AWGB already has a CC facility through Cardnet from LloydsTSB which we use primarily for the seminar and i am considering whether we can extend its use for central AWGB activities.  I am also investigating the use of PaylPal for the AWGB centrally.

Whether we could negotiate a deal for branches and clubs or even individuals to obtain access to a CC facility I don't know.  Any such facility will still entail the branch/club/individual renting a machine at around £20 - £40 per month including VAT.  Personally I doubt that there will be a demand for any such facility.

I also doubt whether such a facility could be established given the sales volumes that could be anticipated.  Most suppliers expect thousands in terms of turnover annually.

I will look at the information that David sent me and review our current processes.  However, unless someone can convince me that there is a wide demand for each Branch/Club to have a CC facility I doubt that we will pursue this idea any further.  Time is pressing on other matters to do with company registration and this idea is not top of my priority list at the moment.  If you can convince me otherwise then the priorities may change.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Cheers Dave

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »
I havent read all the comments on this thread but
as i see it should it not be what should woodturning expect from us there are so many crafts going extinct why should we let wood turni9ng be one of them
?

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Hi

I've received David's email and will consider the information he has provided, and I have replied already to him on this issue..

The AWGB already has a CC facility through Cardnet from LloydsTSB which we use primarily for the seminar and i am considering whether we can extend its use for central AWGB activities.  I am also investigating the use of PaylPal for the AWGB centrally.

Whether we could negotiate a deal for branches and clubs or even individuals to obtain access to a CC facility I don't know.  Any such facility will still entail the branch/club/individual renting a machine at around £20 - £40 per month including VAT.  Personally I doubt that there will be a demand for any such facility.

I also doubt whether such a facility could be established given the sales volumes that could be anticipated.  Most suppliers expect thousands in terms of turnover annually.

I will look at the information that David sent me and review our current processes.  However, unless someone can convince me that there is a wide demand for each Branch/Club to have a CC facility I doubt that we will pursue this idea any further.  Time is pressing on other matters to do with company registration and this idea is not top of my priority list at the moment.  If you can convince me otherwise then the priorities may change.

Thanks for all your input so far.

Cheers Dave

if you need any help with the paypal let me know we have used it from day one due to the simple facts its safe and you can use pay pal or a bank card

Offline davidbrac

• copper
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 05:49:59 PM »
Interesting thread
I am a new individual member of AWGB as well as the club (SAW) l belong to being an associate member. SAW is a large club with membership fluctuating around 160-180 members per annum. What it wants for its membership is publicity, and potential new SAW members, what it brings is a large membership base. How we make keep these members updated on AWGB items will be difficult, we find it hard enough to get them to read our own newsletter, or it just seems that way as you mention an item in club notices, have an article in the newsletter, post it on the club facebook page, and you still get phone calls asking what is happening, or comments about l didn't know about that. But if information gets to us in time we will get it into our system.

As an individual member discussions about card readers are great, as are areas that will help me develop ideas within the craft or that expand boundaries. I will also be moving to a different part of the country in the forthcoming future so networking with people and clubs in the new area will be a great benifit.

I don't think there in nothing knew in what l am saying as AWGB is already covering the items l mentioned.

What l will say is that all Associations and clubs in all areas of the British Community/charities are struggling to find active people to get involved especially as the bigger Charities and Associations come more business orientated and target the volunteering community. So l would suggest that its best to keep it small keep it manageable and remember that it always seems a struggle to get people involved.