Author Topic: Resin casting  (Read 1436 times)

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
Resin casting
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:32:40 PM »
I know that this is going to be a contentious issue for some but does anyone else share my negative views on casting timber in plastic ( resin ). There has been a concerted effort by most people to reduce or even eliminate the use of single use plastics yet some are unthinkingly adding to the problem by casting what would normally be regarded as off-cuts or waste material in resin. While I agree that the results can be attractive I still feel that from an ecological standpoint that this practice is just adding to our problems and we should seriously consider the consequences.
My tin hat is firmly in place so let me have your views.
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: Resin casting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Arnt we doing the same with allowing timber to be felled ?

Creating loads of waist wood shavings / dust .
/ used up sandpaper / empty tins and plastic polish bottles
The list could go on and on

I do quite like some resin projects , they do look atractive and some would not be able to be turned without the resin support

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 05:50:25 PM »
Wood shavings and wood dust can be used for animals, mulch, mixed in with compost etc as it is biodegradable. The tins and abrasive paper can all be recu=yc;ed as well. Plastic polish bottles? Can't say I have those personally. Resin can be made from natural p[roducs but I think most that we use is made from polymers, fancy word for plastic. To be honest I agree with Alan up to a ;point but where do you draw the line? Sadly if we removed all plastc form our society at the moment it would collapse we have become so dependent on it in one form or apother.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »
It sells well so I am told, I choose not to turn plastic because I don't like the mess or the smell of it, there are also some timbers I won't turn because I don't like the smell. But in the grand scheme of things I don't expect turners have much of an impact on global plastic waste so it is a matter of personal choice.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline crazylegs

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 05:15:25 PM »
what about this ?
https://www.ecopoxy.com/
never try to be better than others just better than you were yesterday.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 06:02:34 PM »
what about this ?
https://www.ecopoxy.com/

Problem with that it seems the Eco only appears as the first 3 letters of a brand name the product is Methylethylidene Phenyleneoxymethylene and Bisoxirane none of which I have any knowledge of! If it smells like Cherry and doesn't litter my workshop with environmentally hazardous material (note it says clothing worn while using it can't leave the work place!) then I may give it a go, having Eco in the name may just mean it is cheaper per gallon.

Not knocking those who like turning plastic, and as I said before I am told it sells well, but I choose not to.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Robin Goodman

• iron
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 10:17:16 AM »
Quite recently I have tried a more user friendly resin that is odour free, non-toxic and available in UK, see https://www.elichem.co.uk/art-resins.  Available in several different versions, I tried the self levelling version, which is not so versatile for 3D woodturning, but I think can be used to good effect.  See photos ( if I can get them to load properly this time)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 11:20:37 AM »
Robin, well I think it's safe to say that they are loud on the eyes but I do like the second image a lot.

Thank you for the link
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 10:15:12 PM »
I'm with you 90%. If small pieces of burr can be salvaged for pens etc, then fine, but who in their right mind would pay thousands for a river-of-resin dinig table in which the timber is going to move (inevitably) whilst the resin is going to remain static (inevitably)....the result is inevitable!

....and don't get me started on those ruddy things made out of resin embedded colouring pencils....you take a raw product (the pencil) which likely comes from the far east and has traveled half way around the world, you flood it with a synthetic polyester-based resin and when it's all gone hard, you turn 90% of it into shavings that end up as landfill. Madness!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 10:18:13 PM »
You not keen on resin then Les LOL? Have to admit i agree with you. I am a WOOD turner though I admit to turning the odd bit of metal now and then and using other materials such as glass

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities