Author Topic: Lathe Extension  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Lathe Extension
« on: May 11, 2020, 02:07:50 PM »
I have an Axminster AT1416VS which has been fine for 99% of the stuff that I’ve wanted to do. There has been the odd job though where I could have done with a bit more on the bed length. Not enough to buy the eye wateringly expensive official Axminster extension which is too long anyway. I’m now planning to build a short extension with some 40x20 mild steel bar. Sadly I only have a short length of this in stock at the moment until my local supplier opens again. I’m planning on extending by about 6” or 8”. I’m just wondering though if anyone else has built an extension they'd like to share pictures of?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Lathe Extension
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »
buy the steel from EBAY then you can get it delivered.

i have a Jet 3520b and the extension is £377 but if i really need another bed extension i'll me getting one fabricated as i'm sure it will be cheaper...

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 04:54:52 PM »
Postage on big lumps of steel can be a deal breaker. My nearest supplier is only a few miles away and I’m pretty sure he’ll be open soon as there’s only a couple of workers there.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
Have you looked at metals4u I have used them and they are pretty good. When you check the price you can order custom lengths

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »
As said I get most of my stuff locally. I have bought some SS and Brass in the past six months from eBay. I’ve found Metals4U either don’t have what I want or are more expensive. I’ve also looked at metal supermarkets I think in the past.