Author Topic: Candle dish  (Read 1003 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Candle dish
« on: May 11, 2020, 12:32:15 PM »
I haven't posted any new work for a while, I am mostly active on Instagram these days, but here's something I thought I should share with you.
One of our neighbours had a large birch tree in the back garde which had to be felled to allow for some housing development on the plot. I convinced the neighbours to let me have the trunk of the tree (about 18" diameter and 12ft long). That was about 2 years ago. About 6 months ago, they came to me and said they wanted me to make them a commission, a large candle holder for a recess in their house, to hold 3 large candles (4" diameter and about 12 - 18" tall). So we had a design session and I started to work on this. The condition was that the main dish had be from the same birch tree.
At the end of the design session I said to here that we also needed to touch on the subject of price, and the answer was "I don't care how much it costs, as long as it's less than £1000". That was the end of that conversation, and here's the result.

As usual, all comments welcome.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Candle dish
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
Nice commission and can I say I admire the amount and level of work involved in making this piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 06:11:25 PM »
An admirable amount of quality work in that, Fuzzy.....may I just ask, is there a set of inserts that the candles will sit on, or do they just sit on the wood?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 06:35:05 PM »
Hi Les, at the moment the candles just sit on the three wooden discs inside the dish, but that's a good point you are raising there. Might have to do something about that. Mind you, I don't think they will be lit, this is more a decorative item than a functional one.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »
Make three pewter saucers to sit on the discs Fuzzy, looks good and solves the safety problem

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2020, 06:42:43 PM »
  Hi Fuzzy,
                We have had this discussion on this Forum many times even though there may be no intention of lighting the candles
 but the possibility is there also if these are night light type of Candles they should be in a metal or glass holder but there are some very nice battery types about.
                                                   Regards John
John Smith

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 11:39:16 AM »
Stunning piece of work - the stand is exceptionally lovely :)