Author Topic: Gouge profile set  (Read 1406 times)

Offline iantivenan

• copper
Gouge profile set
« on: May 05, 2020, 07:03:43 AM »
Hi.
I've been trying to obtain a gouge sharpening profile set made by henry taylor. I've tried all the stockists listed but they just say non available.
Does anyone know where I could purchase a set for my workshop.
Thanks Ian.

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Gouge profile set
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:19:17 AM »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 11:57:55 AM »
Hi Ian,
If you have no luck with the Henry Taylort set, check out Ron Brown's best at

https://www.ronbrownsbest.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=16&product_id=516
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
Hi.
The profile set I am after, are a set of actual tool tips ground to a profile, which can be used in the sharpening holder to replicate the angles on my own tools. If that makes sense😊.

Online Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 04:47:02 PM »
Hi.
The profile set I am after, are a set of actual tool tips ground to a profile, which can be used in the sharpening holder to replicate the angles on my own tools. If that makes sense😊.

Nope not really! if you have the jig full of tooltip, where do you put your tool? however me understanding is irrelevant.. contact Henry Taylor direct, if they make it then they should be able to get one to you, contact page in my last post...
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »
Hi.

Yes,I have seen these although I wasn’t aware of the manufacturer. It may be that perhaps due to little demand they are no longer made?

Edit: These are the ones. https://www.henrytaylortools.co.uk/profile-pro-setup-tools.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 05:25:16 PM by Bill21 »

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »
To replicate the grind you have on your tool , just use a black felt tip pen , rotate the grinder wheel by hand ( Unplug the grinder ) then you can see where the black felt tip has beed removed wether you need to adjust the tool holder higher or lower

;)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 05:44:17 PM »
If you can’t find what you want some of the information in this document may help even if you’re not using a Tormek.
It shows most of the common gouge grinds.

https://www.tormek.com/media/448711/hb-10-en-v101-svd-185.pdf

Note that the Axminster and Sorby belt grinders both use Tormek jigs for gouges.

Offline iantivenan

• copper
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 05:56:33 PM »
Hi
I can sharpen my own tools, I need these as a teaching aid for my friend. I contacted henry taylor tools, they said they still make them and would contact me with some information on purchasing a set. As yet I haven't had a reply.
Thanks Ian.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 08:27:59 PM »
Hi.
I've been trying to obtain a gouge sharpening profile set made by henry taylor. I've tried all the stockists listed but they just say non available.
Does anyone know where I could purchase a set for my workshop.
Thanks Ian.
Hi Ian, not sure if you got my PM I sent this morning but I found the set I was thinking of and I am fairly sure these are what you are looking for. Toolpost (Didcot) have them on their website but don't have them in stock. If you are interested in buying my spare set, send me a message and we can sort out how to get them to you. I don't advise posting your address on here.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:45:27 PM by Woodcrafts »
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »
Hi Ian, I noticed you said you wanted them for teachiing. You may find this document useful as it explains how they are used.
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/docs/profile_pro.pdf
The jig shown is a Woodcut Trugrind, which I use on my grinders, but the setup will be the same for any jig that allows the toolholder leg angle to be adjusted. Hope that helps.
The document may also be of interest to others who have responded to your post.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:42:04 PM by Woodcrafts »
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts