Author Topic: Heating /Ventilating a Shed workshop  (Read 1104 times)

Offline jay

• copper
Heating /Ventilating a Shed workshop
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »
   Firstly i would like to introduce myself again after a hiatus of about 9 yrs  I have recently set up a shed/ workshop on the south coast of UK  after living in Canada for some years  I would greatly appreciate  any suggestions as to how to heat / ventilate  this space to avoid condensation and corrosion  on my lathes and tools My wo lathes are a General 260 ( Canada )  and a Graduate short bed  both VFD  The shed is a wood frame structure, moisture membrane ,   25mm air space and shiplap. Inside the walls have a poly vapour barrier on the frame and 15mm acoustic plasterbard The floor area is 15sq /m  Any advice however obvious it may seem would be greatly appreciated

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
Re: Heating /Ventilating a Shed workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
During the damp / cold months I run a small greenhouse tube heater combined with a dehumidifier, todate no problems.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 05:51:18 PM »
I have a solid timber (44mm) shed with roof and floor insulation and don’t use any ventilation. I have a fan heater that gets used as required in the winter. In summer it can get too hot to work in there some days. I don’t seem to have any problems with condensation.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
I stopped using a fan heater as it blew the dust every where.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
I use a oil filled electric radiator, which is set on a minimal setting during winter to prevent anything from freezing (it keeps the shop at around 5 degrees Celsius) and a small fan heater to get the temperature up quickly if I need to. If your fan heater is blowing the dust everywhere then you have too much dust in your workshop (and that is a health hazard in itself).

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 12:38:19 PM »
I use a oil filled electric radiator, which is set on a minimal setting during winter to prevent anything from freezing (it keeps the shop at around 5 degrees Celsius) and a small fan heater to get the temperature up quickly if I need to. If your fan heater is blowing the dust everywhere then you have too much dust in your workshop (and that is a health hazard in itself).

Yes I have exactly the same setup but don’t often use the radiator. I don’t get any dust blown about by the fan heater either. I use a shop vac when sanding and also have an AC400 installed. If I do notice an excess of dust I put the AC400 on timer for an hour or so after I’ve finished working in there and then using the output side of my shop vac I blow all the surfaces clear quickly then go indoors to let the AC400 deal with it.