Author Topic: Record Power 4 Speed Pulley Block from Record CL1 - HELP  (Read 1255 times)

Offline lawless89

• iron
Record Power 4 Speed Pulley Block from Record CL1 - HELP
« on: April 28, 2020, 02:45:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is safe and well.

please excuse my ranty post, I have a 3 speed Record Power CL1 for 1999 which i've been using quite happily, late last year I bought the green record power stand from a member of my club and the remains of a 2007 4 speed CL1, I was only interested in the stand but he chucked in what was left of his CL1 as the motor had given out so what I got were the bars, feet, tailstock, headstock minus motor and 1 of the 4 speed pulleys.

I contacted Haydock convertors recently to enquire about getting a variable speed unit for my own CL1 and they advised they happened to have a CL1 motor for the 4 speed and we agreed a price and the deal was done, All I was missing now was a 4 speed pulley block. I contact record power through web inquiries and was advised I needed to buy a pulley kit for £22+Vat and delivery this was the part number ring this number and place the order, I was told the pulleys were in stock and could get them in a couple of days. Great I thought. So I ring record power and the chap on the phone told me that the person who had answered my emails was wrong, they didn't have the pulleys in stock, and the company who made them went out of business so they couldn't source one and they couldn't tell me who made them.

My question is does anyone know who made the pulleys for record power 4 speed lathes? I understand the DML and CL1 used the same 4 speed block, Does anyone have a spare 4 speed pulley block they would sell me or does anyone know of anywhere where I can get a pulley block made or where I can buy a compatible pulley block.

I'm very frustrated as i'm sure you can tell.

Appreciate some of the advise might be to get a newer lathe but thats not financially an option at the moment.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Lawrence.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Record Power 4 Speed Pulley Block from Record CL1 - HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:22:05 PM »
Lawrence,

you are looking to find a specific item but I'd bet that there are many 4 speed pulley blocks that are available and will fit you motor output shaft.

accurately measure the diameter of said shaft and do a search on-line.

Not knowing your shaft I was unable to do an exact search but I did an eBay search and found several options. I'll bet lots of companies make these things that don't sell on eBay as well.

Someone might be able to tell you the 4 x diameters of the pulleys on this forum and you'll need to make sure the belt option is the same, PolyVee or tapered (etc).

There will be no guarantee that you'll perfectly match the pulley diameters which will affect the accuracy of the speed output depending upon where the measurement is taken. But for a variable speed system, you'll adjust it to what you are comfortable with, nit an exact speed anyway.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline lawless89

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Thank you for your help.

The diameter of the shaft is 14mm, sorry to sound like i'm stupid but would I just search 4 speed pulley block? The belt used I believe is a 4 ribbed poly-V belt

Thank you.

Lawrence.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:57:15 PM by lawless89 »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum

Offline lawless89

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:47:57 AM »
Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

I don't mind changing both pulleys if thats what needs to happen, at least i've got a starting point of where to look now.

Thank you and stay safe.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 09:05:39 AM »
I faced a similar problem some years ago while building a lathe and lived through all the frustrations you are describing..... until I had a lightbulb moment

Make a wooden version (but not out of oak because it will argue with the steel shaft) It'll cost you nothing to try and worked for me.
All the best with it
Brian

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 05:07:25 PM »
Another option and this will require the assistance of readers of this thread, is to ask them to measure the shaft diameter of their lathe (if it's fairly modern) and let you know if there's is 14mm, Then you could approach their manufacturer for the spare availability.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
14mm shaft is the international standard for 71 frame motors, and these are widely available, just look up any motor supplier. What may be of interest are the sleeves that are available to use these motors in place of 80 frame motors, which feature a 19mm shaft. Just use one of these sleeves to use a 19mm bore pulley block on your 14mm motor.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts