Author Topic: Recommendations for wheels for a spindle steady  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Recommendations for wheels for a spindle steady
« on: April 26, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
I am making a spindle steady jig and am after some small rubber/polyurethane coated wheels with some decent bearings for the contact points between the work on the lathe and the jigs arms. I have some skateboard wheels, but they are a bit too big and clunky and I'm after something a bit smaller. I did have some shower door roller bearings somewhere which would be perfect, but obviously I can't find them..! Does anybody have any bright ideas for something I could use?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Recommendations for wheels for a spindle steady
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
All the home made ones I have seen use either skateboard or roller skate wheels. The only other ones are the ones used to make trembleurs which tend to be made to suit out of frames and string,  Have a look at this video from around 3mins in

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 09:50:08 AM »
That's an amazing video - thanks Pete. Not sure string is going to do it for me - I'm not turning anything quite as fragile as those trembleurs!
I will continue to rummage through all the drawers of random nuts, bolts and bearings that we have accumulated. I'm sure at the bottom of the last drawer I might find something suitable..!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 09:51:48 AM by Percy »

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
i made my own from beech with a bearing in the center but i've only used mine a couple of times so the wheels are probably out of shape but you could use lignum from a lawn bowl or even turn you own nylon wheels.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
Inline skate wheels seem to be very popular. The last time I looked you could get four of the 64mm ones on the auction site for about a tenner. Make sure they come with the bearings though.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:17:03 PM »
I agree the skates urethane wheels are the way to go.
Some years ago I bought a repair pack, 4 wheels, bearings and nuts & bolts for not a lot of money.
Have a look through your favorite online shopping site, something will pop-up that will fit the bill.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:13:32 PM by dr4g0nfly »
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 02:53:48 PM »
I've used inline skate wheels for my jig. They usually come with ball bearings either already inserted or you can get a separate set from the same supplier. I would use a relatively soft wheel, you still get a decent grip, but the softer wheels leave less of a mark on your work item.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
I've used inline skate wheels for my jig. They usually come with ball bearings either already inserted or you can get a separate set from the same supplier. I would use a relatively soft wheel, you still get a decent grip, but the softer wheels leave less of a mark on your work item.

Do suppliers actually list the wheel type or is there some type of code to get the softer wheels?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »
The website where I bought mine did list various properties, and hardness was one of them. It's definitely worth spending an hour in front of the computer.