Author Topic: Food safe coating over varnish  (Read 1417 times)

Offline alanturner

• iron
Food safe coating over varnish
« on: April 20, 2020, 08:14:33 PM »
Hello,
I was wondering if there is a coating available to paint over varnish to make my tankard food safe. I know about oil but the trouble is I've already varnished it and it won't soak into the wood. I'm having trouble finding a resin. Does anyone know what I can use?
Thanks for any help.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Food safe coating over varnish
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 09:22:03 PM »
I coat my goblets with Rustins Plasticote. Not sure how it would be on top of varnish. Why can't ypu remove the varnish before going any further?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline alanturner

• iron
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
Hi, thanks for your reply.  :)I Will try the plastic coating, it sounds good from what I've read and is certainly food safe. I don't know how to remove the varnish since I can't get the item back on the lathe. I am new to wood turning and don't even have a scroll chuck, just a face plate and the other grip in thing that you knock in with a rubber mallet (sorry to sound crude). I will try it over the varnish and see what happens.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:43 PM »
Can I suggest you varnish a piece of scrap wood and apply the plasticote to that first to make sure they don't react to one another? I have applied different finishes on top of one another before and had a chemical reaction resulting in having to strip the piece. Also give the tankard a rub down with abrasive to govbe the surface a key.

Pete

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 12:06:58 PM »
to make the tankard drinksafe don't forget to coat the first inch or so of the outside of the rim. I'm not sure I would advise encapsulating the piece entirely.
To remount the tankard on the lathe screw a bit of scrap  to your faceplate. cut a shallow recess in the centre to locate the base of the tankard and then glue it in place with hot glue. When you've finished warm the glue and it will let you have you newly worked tankard back.
All the best with it
Brian

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »
Why wouldn't you coat the outside Brian? I do with all my goblets. Never had a problem and as they are often used for red wine which eats through most finishes it protects fron staining as there are inevitable dribbles.

Pete

Offline alanturner

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 01:38:20 AM »
Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the feedback. It's a good idea to try first before I apply. Not sure I would have thought of it. Will definately do that. I have ordered my plasticoat from Amazon so just waiting for it. Thanks for the tip on remounting my piece. I have a glue gun so should be no problem. :D