Author Topic: sycamore pierced bowl.  (Read 985 times)

Offline wider

• gold
sycamore pierced bowl.
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:19:58 PM »
turned and sanded to 600 then the wing was pierced to decorate. the bowl is 200x50 and a 2mm rim .the piercing was done by the Axminster hanging motor and a 1mm carbide cutter. all comments welcome.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: sycamore pierced bowl.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 08:44:59 AM »
I think this is a lovely bowl and the piercing on the rim would work well, if it wasn't for all the fuzzy bits still visible inside the pierced openings. I realize this is a challenge, but it really distracts from an otherwise fine piece. I am not sure what you can do about it. Maybe higher speed? Fresh cutter? Light sanding after piercing, maybe combined with an air gun to blow the fuzz out?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 05:23:19 AM »
I don't do this sort of piercing because it just doesn't suit my style of turning (it is too time consuming and delicate for me), and this is where this piece has problems. The overall effect is fine and the patterns that you've pierced are great (remind me of runes), but the fluffy residue suggests a blunt cutter, whilst the frequent over-run of the piercing, beyond the boundary lines of the pierced panel, suggest that it was a bit rushed.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 03:53:22 PM »
The bowl, its finished polish, natures added extra lines are all fantastic.
The piercing has beenough noted above but I'll add that it's not random enough. The piercings seen to work their way around the circumference in a grid of 3 in a column and 3 rows, which may be the idea but seems  a little regimented for me.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!