Author Topic: Turning "good practice"  (Read 4264 times)

Offline apw99

• iron
Re: Turning "good practice"
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
and how about CBN wheels? These seem to give really good results from what I read. Would you recommend if I can find one at a reasonable price?
Thanks again!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
For about the price of a 150mm CBN wheel you can buy an 8" grinder with the 40mm wide white stone (record power one is very good at £89 and often discounted, cheaper brands are available)
That extra diameter makes quite a big difference to the hollowing effect on the bevel, makes sharpening wider tools much more accurate, and will probably give superior results to a 6" CBN.
Then if you later upgrade that to a CBN you will have 630mm of cutting surface per revolution as opposed to 470mm
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline apw99

• iron
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2020, 12:16:51 PM »
Hi folks,
I have ordered a Record Power1 , I think this is the best solution for me, can't wait to get at it!
I am also going to make a sharpening jig, I have a basic pattern can use a computer sliding rail to adjust the dept. I will post the results when I get it complete.
thanks again everyone for all the sound advice, be well.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2020, 01:23:08 PM »
The Robert Sorby jigs for bench grinders work well and I’ve seen several people copy the basic design to save cash.

https://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/product_instructions/universal_sharpening_system.pdf

Offline apw99

• iron
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2020, 05:41:50 PM »
Hi Guys,
Hope you are all keeping well.

Thanks Bill for that, I am playing around with a few bits and pieces to see what I can knock up. I will do a prototype first and then hopefully make a proper version.

TwistedTree - I got my Record 8" grinder and I am absolutely delighted with it! really nice piece of kit, very well made and a terrific price for the quality. Even working freehand I could get a way nicer finish on my gouges. I have been living in the dark for so long, I was doing such a bad job on sharpening.

Thank you all, I will let you know how the jog works out.