Author Topic: Turning "good practice"  (Read 4323 times)

Offline apw99

• iron
Turning "good practice"
« on: April 14, 2020, 09:43:17 AM »
Hi Folks,
I have been turning for a few years and have only had a few brief lessons at the very start, so I am self-taught. I like the artistic aspect of turning rather than being the perfectionist. I tend to like to turn chunky bowls which are quite thick, I leave any holes, bark or features that I possibly can. I even made a goblet once which cracked and I stitched it up with copper wire and it went down a treat!
However I am interested in what is considered 'good practice' or considered 'correct'? Some things I believe I have heard are
- Thinner is better
- remove the divot
- never use varnish
etc etc...
I am just wondering what you guys as well accomplished turners regard as 'good practice'
Thanks - stay safe.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Turning "good practice"
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
You are talking design not turning practice and there are no set rules. Thinner for exmple is fine of you want to lmpress other turners or make lampshades but not a lot of use if you are making things for use such as a goblegt or fruit bowl. As a proturner I make lots of pieces with holes, splits etc, also lots of things without. At the end of day the main rule should be is it fit for purpose and if it is meant to be decorative only then that is totally up to the individual. I have a gallery of my work on my website and to be honest some of the things I have made, in hindsight, I am not keen on at all but they sold, someone liked them. Only thing I would say is whatever you make do it to the best quality you can.

Pete
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 10:35:04 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:17:05 AM »
Pete is right you are mostly talking design with you question so you can do what you like and finish it how you want.
personally i still go by "the only rule is, there are no rules"

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 12:07:22 PM »
I had a few lessons with a turner named John Davis, also bought my first tools and my bandsaw from him, one of the main things he taught me was function rules for functional items. sort of his quote, but it was a long time ago... "A fruit bowl is not a fruit bowl if it is so thin and light that it falls over when you drop an apple in it, and a goblet is not a goblet if it is so thick you can't drink from it."

When making bowls for yourself always leave the chuck mount on, then you can remount to refinish or change the shape, it is frowned on by other turners but if done well nobody else notices.

Art is in the eye of the buyer, here you can let your imagination run a bit wild. Personally I have absolutely no taste, if I turn something and think what an ugly monstrosity, it will probably sell, if I love it, I probably get to keep it! Myself and many other turners will look at a natural edge heavily spalted and split piece and think, wow that was hard / brave / insane to turn often before we look at it as a piece of art, we have all had a go at the knuckle tappers and the ones that would have hit us in the face if not for CA glue and duct tape.

Don't use varnish well not in a wood turning shop anyway the dust will drive you mad!
Don't use water or oil based colours unless you want to.
Don't mix oak and iron except where rust and staining is the objective

Bottom line is:
Keep your cutting tools (including abrasive) sharp,
Pay lots of attention to how your wood is connected to the motor so it  stays where it was put. 
Be aware of dust and use sensible precautions to keep it outside of you.
Decide the primary purpose of the piece, and blend form and function to meet that primary objective.

Look shamelessly at what everyone else is doing, there are only beads, coves and straight cuts available to us we can only choose size and materials, and people have been spinning wood for a lot of years, so everything has been done before, making your version of someone else's design is fine, if you think theirs is perfect get as close to it as you can, if you think it is almost perfect, then improve on it, you are doing it right when someone else copies you.

Most important is stay safe, and enjoy the process.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
On the copy issue, I thought I was a right clever clogs when I saw a shape in nature while on holiday, spent a few days cutting it in my mind got home and did it for real, and was very pleased with it. Put in the local club competition and someone said "saw that on YouTube" .... got home looked it up, and there it was, even worse it was better than mine!

In reality it didn't matter, I enjoyed figuring it out and cutting it, his method was similar but improved as he had cut several and worked some of the kinks out, and I had a few lathe free days occupied by working out the cutting order.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 04:21:52 PM »
The rule I stick to is
"You cannot make the inside larger than the outside"
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 04:40:50 PM »
The rule I stick to is
"You cannot make the inside larger than the outside"

You can, if you put the inside on the outside.... ;)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 06:54:52 PM »
You say you are not a beginner but I'll add that two mistakes beginners or not very accomplished turners make are:

1. To make the biggest thing you can from a piece of timber,

and

2. Letting the tool make the shape e.g. you did not or cannot control the tool properly enough to make the shape you see in your minds eye.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »
My two rules are:- Keep it sharp and Keep it safe!
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 03:35:08 PM »
A few random thoughts on the subject -

Ask 12 turners how to do something and you will get 13 answers.

There are no "rules" other than whatever you do, do it safely.

If what you make is suitable for it's intended purpose then it isn't wrong.

Too many people spend their time trying to please (or impress) other turners when if they just concentrated on pleasing themselves, they would a) be much happier and b) would produce better work!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:00:01 PM »
Good practice in my book is trying to improve your the finish on every piece you turn

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:18 AM »
I think the best practice is to listen to everything available, read everything you can lay your hands on, try everything you feel comfortable with but then treat the whole lot as opinions NOT facts... no matter how eminent the source!
Opinions can be changed as soon as a better idea strikes whereas a fact is set in stone for ever. Yes, this will call for a certain mindset and mental dexterity to achieve.
Well, well, well woody psychology on a lockdown Thursday, who'd a thought it???
No gardening today so its back to the workshop for me...……
Brian

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:09 AM »
A piece of advice I was given some time ago "spend twice as long on the finishing than the turning"  and this is borne out at craft shows watch the punters picking up and feeling the finish, if they buy it you want the finish to be there for a long time
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
When I was first apprenticed the first things I was taught (apart from how to make tea)was how to sharpen my tools, I did this not once or twice but all the time and I still do it now.The second thing I was taught (apart from how to make coffee) was how each tool cuts. Learn how they cut or how they are able to cut i.e. a freshly sharpened parting tool can also scrape on the side of the tool. Learn these bits and get them ingrained into your standard working practice. It annoys me when I ask if some one has been turning lately and they say "no but I sharpened my tools last Sunday." Or at shows the most frequently asked question is "how often do you sharpen your tools?"These people, in my opinion , should not be allowed near machinery. Sharp tools and the sharpening of them are what is done in the course of turning. Do this apw99 all the time because that is "best practice". using tools with a dull edge will produce dull results.

Offline apw99

• iron
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2020, 09:31:02 AM »
Firstly I hope you are all well and keeping sane in this bizarre world we live in. One benefit, if there can possibly be a benefit in such an awful predicament, is I get a lot more time in the shed without the pressure to be somewhere else.

What a wonderful repository of wisdom and knowledge this is, thank you for taking the time to respond to me. Many fine insights and it most definitely assures me that I am more or less going in the right direction. I definitely am from the school of turning as an art form rather than a craft, so it is the skills that go with the craft that I need to reinforce.

I loved the comment "You cannot make the inside larger than the outside"  ;D and also it is very clear that sharp tools are essential as well as safety.

One of my biggest weaknesses which I am now going to address is sharpening. I am endlessly frustrated by failing to make a decent edge on basic tools like scrapers never mind trying to master the gouges. I watch clips about 'Irish Grind'  and various others like 'finger nail'  and I need to look into this more. However my grinder is definitely not fit for purpose so I need to get something more useful and also some type of a jig to help me get the gouge sharpened accurately.

So this is my next question....what type of grinder/stone. My current grinder is a 6" with a white stone but the stone is too narrow and also really difficult to true up, in fact I never managed to get it to stop wobbling. I know this decision is also down to budget and I don't have a lot to spend but looking at €200 range I see this wetstone variation and was wondering what your thoughts are on this?
https://scheppach.com/product-details/Nassschleifsystem-TIGER-2500-scheppach----230V-50Hz-200W-5903202901.aspx?WPParams=43CCD7D4B5DDE6B7C2E0B1CDE1C8B6B79495 , this comes with a gouge jig as well which might be useful.

This is about the limit of my budget and I would keep the rough grinder for general shaping and this one for sharpening as I read  that the stone is quiet soft and not the best for gouges as they do not present a uniform surface...

Thanks again for ALL of the brilliant insights

Be well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 09:37:57 AM by apw99 »