Author Topic: Log cabin workshop  (Read 3531 times)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: Log cabin workshop
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
I bought a 5m x 3M log cabin with 44mm “logs” some years back and it’s been great. I paid extra to have pre-treated timbers so it was a bit dark inside. I bought some very pale grey - almost white shed paint and gave the inside two coats and it’s fine now. It has an insulated floor and roof but it still gets a bit too warm for me on a hot summers day. Winter is fine though, it only takes a little while for a fan heater to make it comfortable. Enjoy your new space.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 11:17:21 AM »
I built mine at 6m x 3m with attic space, timber frame cement board external wall skin, 19mm ply inside fully insulated, log effect cladding just to look nice. Looked massive when I poured the concrete floor, looked OK when I put the walls up, looked tiny once I had the machines in there  >:(

Next time it will be 6m x 12m and still one third of what I need  ???

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
I bought a 5m x 3M log cabin with 44mm “logs” some years back and it’s been great. I paid extra to have pre-treated timbers so it was a bit dark inside. I bought some very pale grey - almost white shed paint and gave the inside two coats and it’s fine now. It has an insulated floor and roof but it still gets a bit too warm for me on a hot summers day. Winter is fine though, it only takes a little while for a fan heater to make it comfortable. Enjoy your new space.

Sounds great Bill!

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »
I built mine at 6m x 3m with attic space, timber frame cement board external wall skin, 19mm ply inside fully insulated, log effect cladding just to look nice. Looked massive when I poured the concrete floor, looked OK when I put the walls up, looked tiny once I had the machines in there  >:(

Next time it will be 6m x 12m and still one third of what I need  ???

Looks great Pete!

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
Mine is 44mm as well, 19mm floor which I may replace at some point, I was tempted to use scaff boards as I have used these for my fencing and they look great as well as being solid. The roof is only 11mm but I am adding box steel sheets when my local builders yard reopens!

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 09:17:17 PM »
Mine came with 19mm boards for the floor as well but I topped them with 8’ x 4’ sheets of 9mm ply. It then had a couple of coats of floor paint. It all makes for a floor that’s very easy to keep clean.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:03 PM »
Just a thought, how good is the insulation  with this type of shed, will in need more. Looks great for hanging cupboards though.
Ron

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
Just a thought, how good is the insulation  with this type of shed, will in need more. Looks great for hanging cupboards though.
Ron

I suppose it depends on the thickness of the “Logs”. They are available in a range of thicknesses. Mine are 44mm thick and it’s easy to keep warm in winter with a heater. Even though the roof has 50mm insulation it still gets a bit too warm on a hot summers day. I don’t like to leave the door open because of the noise from machines etc.

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
Ron

Similar thoughts to Bill. I went with 44mm logs and have used my little heater once on a really cold morning. It doesn't need any added insulation. I have noticed it has been very warm in there over the last few days with the lovely weather we've been having.

You're right, it is really good for hanging cupboards, shelves, tools etc.

I bought a pack of 10 wooden dowels 300x10mm and used these to hang tools, so simple with the thick wood walls.