Author Topic: Log cabin workshop  (Read 3540 times)

Offline David Holden

• copper
Log cabin workshop
« on: April 12, 2020, 05:11:08 PM »
Hi folks, I hope you're all safe and well. I just wanted to show you all my new work space. My 10ft x 8ft shed was getting a bit cramped and it wasn't very safe running an extension cable from my house to the back of the garden every time I wanted to do some work. So I bought and put together a log cabin! I had the electrics installed professionally including overhead led lighting. I put the shelving together myself which was fairly inexpensive and yesterday I finally got the chance to tidy things up in there and organise my growing tool collection. This is all beginner equipment I know, but I am a beginner. There is room for some more machinery out of shot, I really need a band saw! I will eventually, as time goes on, upgrade my lathe and install a decent dust extraction system.

Thanks to Lazurus for suggesting spring clips (back in November last year) for storing my chisels on! Great idea!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Log cabin workshop
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:41:47 PM »
Nice workshop David, I am 100% certain that like every workshop anywhere is is precisely one third the size it needs to be, you just have the illusion of space as you haven't put all the tools you want into it yet  ;)

Mine was refurbished this year with full extraction and new furniture I think it was almost as tidy as your for about 1 day!

Great job done, enjoy it.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
Nice workshop David, I am 100% certain that like every workshop anywhere is is precisely one third the size it needs to be, you just have the illusion of space as you haven't put all the tools you want into it yet  ;)

Mine was refurbished this year with full extraction and new furniture I think it was almost as tidy as your for about 1 day!

Great job done, enjoy it.

I'm sure you're right mate! Did you post photos of your refurb? If you did, please post a link here. I am enjoying the tidiness a lot at the moment, I have a big smile on my face every time I go in!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
No I wrote it up over several parts for the local club newsletter, feel that they need some non internet available content just to stop the editors getting too depressed!

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
No I wrote it up over several parts for the local club newsletter, feel that they need some non internet available content just to stop the editors getting too depressed!

Aaah, you're a good lad for doing that! Hope you're staying safe and well.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 08:12:24 AM »
Does it smell as good as it looks? A great work space, and yes the spring clips are a great accesory to any workshop.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:42 AM »
Looks excellent. I built one of these cabins when we moved house a few years back - it was the one stipulation I made to my wife that a new shed would be the clincher in any house move. When it was finished it looked huge - and then the tools moved in and it got a bit smaller. Then a bigger lather arrived and now it seems pretty small. It certainly isn't as clean as yours any more, David!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 10:24:22 AM »
Nice workshop David, I am 100% certain that like every workshop anywhere is precisely one third the size it needs to be, you just have the illusion of space as you haven't put all the tools you want into it yet  ;)

I totally disagree with that as mine is 1/10th of the size it needs to be ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 05:57:19 PM »
Does it smell as good as it looks? A great work space, and yes the spring clips are a great accesory to any workshop.

Thanks Lazurus! Yes, it smells wonderful! There's still a bit of sticky sap in the wood which smells great too.

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 06:01:26 PM »
Looks excellent. I built one of these cabins when we moved house a few years back - it was the one stipulation I made to my wife that a new shed would be the clincher in any house move. When it was finished it looked huge - and then the tools moved in and it got a bit smaller. Then a bigger lather arrived and now it seems pretty small. It certainly isn't as clean as yours any more, David!

Thanks Percy! I'll try and keep it as tidy as possible, but you know, best intentions n all that! I'm glad you got yours setup after your move. It's always best to clear things with the wife before any big purchases I've found.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 07:16:27 PM »

Thanks Percy! I'll try and keep it as tidy as possible, but you know, best intentions n all that! I'm glad you got yours setup after your move. It's always best to clear things with the wife before any big purchases I've found.

Or in the case of tools dust them up quickly, hide the packaging and claim you have had it ages....

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
Listening to you lot makes me realise how fortunate I am that I collaborate with the wife in our work so don't have all this hassle LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 07:48:46 PM »
Listening to you lot makes me realise how fortunate I am that I collaborate with the wife in our work so don't have all this hassle LOL.

Pete

So you can say Hey Mo, I bought you a new paint brush, and a spare chuck for me  ;D

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
Actually yes LOL. We genuinely don't have any problems there. Same as I never query her buying another pair of shoes, apart from where are we going to keep them LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 08:51:16 PM »
Same here, except with Lisa it is boots and jackets.