Author Topic: New member - Resin & pressure cookers!  (Read 1236 times)

Offline AdamH

• iron
New member - Resin & pressure cookers!
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:13:39 AM »
Hi folks!

I’m completely new here so this is my first post. Thought I’d share some work and ask for a spot of advice if that’s ok. I used to do lots of woodturning many years ago but stopped for about 2 decades. I bought myself a big new shed and a Record Power CL4 with lots of extras a couple of months ago and have really enjoyed picking up where I left off. Have really concentrated on practicing proper techniques and achieving some satisfying results. I’ve added a few pictures for people to see - feel welcome to comment positive of negative as you wish - all critique very welcome.

Onto the question - I’ve got lots of cuts that I want to start doing some resin work with, have never done it before so this is going to be trial and error but I’ve seen a lot and done lots of learning. I wondered if rather than a pressure pot at £300+ it might be possible to make something up or even repurpose an old pressure cooker. I have the tools and ability to do it but interested if anyone’s had experience with this? Any thoughts gratefully received.

Cheers!

Offline Wood spinner

• platinum
Re: New member - Resin & pressure cookers!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 05:33:26 AM »
Hi Adam

Welcome to the forum ,

The partner is going to love all the new gifts  ;)

Some interesting work

Re the pressure cooker , not sure you would get the pressure required as cooking only requires low pressure , Said me who has not used either  :D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 05:41:33 AM by Wood spinner »

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:30:00 AM »
Hi Adam
welcome to addiction......or perhaps that should be re-addiction in your case.
I've been turning most of my life and had a successful 15 year career writing on the subject and have never felt the need for a pressure vessel (other than the time the Mother-in-Law was purging me for a new cutting board and she supplied more than enough pressure!)

My suggestion, for what its worth, would be to keep your feet on the ground, at this point, concentrate on perfecting the normal tool handling, finishing and design skills before setting course for the stratosphere.
All the best with whatever direction you settle on.
Brian

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:06:00 AM »
I made my own pressure pot from a paint pressure pot, simple adaption safe to 80 psi, plwnty of info on youtube. Works a treat.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline AdamH

• iron
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 12:59:46 PM »
Thanks for the comments

I had seen the paint pressure pot idea used before. I think it’s likely to be the route I’ll take. A pressure cooker does seem a little too much of a cheap solution!

I’ve spent the last 3 months making about 50 pieces to get me back into a decent technique and I’ve got probably in the region of 30 or 40 pieces of wood waiting to be used for resin projects (pieces that would be of no use without it) so it’s definitely something I’m going to have to do. It would be much too frustrating not to.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 01:34:44 PM »
Before throwing money at kit to make bad wood turn'able I highly advise that you buy some resin blanks and turn them into something! I find turning plastic quite an obnoxious job, it is messy, terrible for the environment, and doesn't smell nice! would be a shame if you spent money on pressure vessels etc. then found you agreed with me!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline AdamH

• iron
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 01:01:05 AM »
Thanks Pete, noted! I will do that.