Author Topic: Chuck jaws....unknown make  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Chuck jaws....unknown make
« on: April 08, 2020, 08:41:36 AM »
Does anyone recognise the make of these 2 sets of chuck jaws which are about 3" overall diameter. What marks them out as being different to most is the fact that the two fixing holes are side-by-side, which rules out all the makes that I'm familiar with.

Any info appreciated, thanks
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Chuck jaws....unknown make
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 09:13:59 AM »
Haven't a clue Les, sorry, does remind me of a couple of sets I was given that perhaps someone may know, I'll take a photo of mine later.  Thpse second ones are square when they are closed as well which is unusual?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:14:33 AM »
sorry Les, I have no info on the jaws but I do know the inches on your rule are a little undersized. Did you leave it in the overall pocket on washday, perchance???
Brian

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 10:14:34 AM »
I used to have a Craft Supplies Mini grip chuck which was a 3" chuck and from (distant!) memory, the accessory jaws looked very much like those. The chuck had a set of jaws attached and the accessory jaws screwed on to those rather than replacing them. My chuck was used on a Tyme little gem lathe and I sold both many years ago.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 12:42:46 PM »
Knew I had seen that layout somewhere in the dusty corners of my memory, it is Peter Childs masterchuck http://peterchild.co.uk/chucks/masterchuck.htm

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 07:24:54 AM »
Knew I had seen that layout somewhere in the dusty corners of my memory, it is Peter Childs masterchuck http://peterchild.co.uk/chucks/masterchuck.htm

Thanks TT, they certainly look to be the ones, and thanks to everyone else who commented.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.