Author Topic: Circular Cutters  (Read 4040 times)

Offline MCB

• gold
Circular Cutters
« on: April 05, 2020, 05:16:15 PM »
Ladies & Gentlemen

Some time ago, I purchased a cutter to use in my Drill Press to cut 2 inch circles from sandpaper.

I now would  like to purchase a similar cutter to cut three inch circles.

This is  because I have some 6 inch sandpaper discs which I used on my Belt and Disc sander. The outside is  worn out but the central 3 inches is  "as new".

Can anybody point me at the distributor of these circular cutters, please?

I hope that you and your  families are - and will remain - well.

I look forward to hearing from somebody and thank you all, in anticipation, for your interest and assistance.

MC Black

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Circular Cutters
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
Most Tools & Fixings shops (not DiY Sheds) should carry a wide range of Hole Cutters. Are they what you mean?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 07:39:34 PM »
The sort of hole cutter that I bought previously has a smooth (rather than saw tooth) edge and doesn't have a central pilot drill.

It's difficult at present to visit any Tool Shops.

I'm trying to remember, I think I bought the 2" cutter at a Woodworking show - possibly the one near Maidstone.

If it's sunny tomorrow, I'll  take a photograph of the two inch cutter.

Part of the problem of buying what I seek is  knowing exactly what it's called! I have spent more than an hour trying different phrases in Google!

With best wishes and thanks again.

MC Black

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 11:44:32 PM »
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 12:40:28 AM »
It would  probably be cheaper to buy new 3" disks - but the idea was to use the centres of the 6" (velcro-backed) disks that were NOT work out by use on Disk & Belt Sander on my small Flexi-disc (https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/fleximain.html).

As an interim measure, I have cut two 3" discs of MDF and will use those to cut 3" discs with scissors. less that ideal but NOT wasteful (unless it wrecks the scissors)

MC Black

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 01:27:55 AM »
A tangential thought....

If you buy one of the cheap hole saws, first use it to make a hole in a piece of MDF to act as a guide later.

Grind off the teeth, and sharpen the edge, remove the drill bit and use the MDF as a guide for the new cutter.

Cheap ones tend to be made of Plasticine, so the edge probably wouldn't be long lasting, however IF it works you could consider upgrading the tool to a better quality one, or it may be just enough for limited cuts.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Hi MC,

A couple of ideas. The cheapest and easiest comes from watching a demo some years ago, when the demonstrator asked why it was deeemed necessary to have circular sanding disks. Just chop the abrasives to approximate size squares. They will stick to the circular pad and the fact that these overlap the edges doesn't matter. I have used this method for several years and it saves a lot of expense. So in your case either use the disks as they are - the worn outer will be pushed out of the way, or roughly chop off the worn bit and use the resulting pad.

The next option is to get hold of some metal tubing, again roughly the size that will remove the worn bits, and file the outer rim to a sharp edge. You can then use it as a wad cutter. I know of a turner who got some 'egg rings' (used to keep your fried egg neat and circular), but they may be a bit flimsy.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:27:26 AM »
Paul's suggestion to cut the shape roughly  seems to be the easiest and most economic way forward.

I'll use the discs like that when the need arises. Very many thanks.

Yesterday, when cutting the three inch circles of MDF, I realised that the pilot drill for the hole cutter needed sharpening.

Unfortunately, my ball-end Allen Key broke when trying to extract the pilot drill from the arbor.

I guess that I should  NOT have had high expectation from a cheap tool!

I'll  try using a screw extractor later. Any other suggestions, please?

MC
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:13:21 PM by MCB »

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 12:47:44 PM »
I have a cutter which is basically a compass but with a blade instead of a pencil, works a teat on a cutting mat and was cheap as chips
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
an engineers divider can have one leg sharpened into a blade for this purpose but I would add my preference to the 'Why circular' brigade.
Brian

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:06 AM »
Very many thanks to everybody who responded.

I shall cut the sandpaper into a shape that roughly fits (Octagons rather than squares probably) and see how that works.

I was unable to use a screw extractor on the grub screw in the arbor - all too big! The next step is  to try milling out the broken ball end with a Slot Drill - but I think it will be very difficult to hold the arbor in the vice on the milling slide on my Taig/Peatol lathe.

Does anybody know, please, if the central hole on circular hole saws are all the same size and shape irrespective of manufacturer?

I hope that you and your  families are - and will remain - well.

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
Hi MC,
Sorry to hear about the ball allen key. Have you tried heating up the back of the drill bit, to cause it to expand a bit, then tapping it on a hard surface, which might free the broken ball from the socket. And the heat tends to break up any dust/muck(?) that was in the hole, and causing it to stick in there. I doubt an extractor would have worked as I would have expected the key to have been hardened. Good luck.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 12:07:35 PM »
Paul - Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I have drenched the grub screw with WD40 - but that didn't do any good.

The extractor has wrecked the grub screw so I'm  resigned to having to replace the arbor.

I have written to the supplier of the Hex key succinctly expressing my views about the quality of this product!

I'm  about to write to the manufacturer of the Hole Cutters relating the saga and asking if they can supply a replacement arbor.

There are potentially other suppliers of Arbors - but I was worried that if I bought a different make, my existing cutters would  NOT fit.

Which is  why I asked about sandardisation of hole size and shape.

I will try heating the arbor if I can find my blowlamp.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
Having read most of this thread I can't help but think why not make your own? I've made myself wad punches from some pieces of hardwood (I think I used oak, but and decent hard timber will do), with a groove of the required diameter cut into the face. Then set a piece of steel banding (could be an old band saw blade or steel packaging band) into the groove, making sure the ends meet up OK. You might have to use a hammer and a small anvil or similar to bend the steel band into shape. Finally sharpen the edge on your bench grinder.
I will admit that it doesn't work perfectly, but it does work, and it's a lot cheaper then either buying pre-cut discs or buying a wad punch.