Author Topic: Elder wand  (Read 913 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Elder wand
« on: March 31, 2020, 06:03:13 PM »
In case anyone has Harry Potter fans to satisfy this is an actual elder wand (ask a fan!).  That is the wood is real dried elder from the garden (white and hard and works well, albeit with a weak pith centre that I have removed).  The phoenix feather core is more improvised, though it is a real core that goes right through.  It is a glued sandwich (obviously before turning) of yellow, red & orange pre-dyed veneer (but phoenixes are hard to come by, and probably do not like having their feathers removed!).  I have made these before but this one has an overcoat of 'iridescent' blue paint before the final superglue finish.  The handle is stained black and I have used a small brass cap at the handle end.  The paint is an experiment that confers a certain magic - it is fairly translucent but does dull the veneer colour (you can see the unpainted colour on the end). The blue looks more spectacular on the handle but is similar in fact.

Turning is straightforward.  I have seen much more elaborate designs but the core is new I think.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Elder wand
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 06:21:49 PM »
I think the story is inspiring, the wand interesting for the description of the techniques used.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Elder wand
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:45:11 AM »
Damn-it now I am going to have to do that for my granddaughter! laminates are quite fun aren't they.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)