Author Topic: Wood ID please  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Wood ID please
« on: March 30, 2020, 08:05:22 PM »
Story is I got a bunch of cubes of heavily varnished 80mm cubes of unknown timber that had been candle holders or something, for £2 in a charity shop. added it to the pile of wood to play with on a rainy day, and until today hadn't even looked under the varnish.

Turns out they are a glue up of small batons, cuts very fine so fine the smaller shavings went upwards to the air filter rather than fall to the floor. It is quite brittle plus of course being a glue up care needs to be taken as I didn't make the joints, but it has a charm, that in this time of clearing up the odds and ends in the workshop make me want to use it.

In picture 3 ignore the top inset and the joint band, they are other timbers I know about! second picture is unpolished end grain.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Wood ID please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:13:04 PM »
I think we'll have to wait for Steve with this, but in the meanwhile, are you sure it's wood? It looks more like a bamboo or palm of some description, so it could be closer to the large grass varieties than it is to wood.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:17:43 PM »
I think we'll have to wait for Steve with this, but in the meanwhile, are you sure it's wood? It looks more like a bamboo or palm of some description, so it could be closer to the large grass varieties than it is to wood.
Les

That’s what I was thinking.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:11 PM »
Hi Les / Bill

My first thought was bamboo, though I have had a bamboo turning blank before and it wasn't as heavy as this stuff which is about the same as Beech.

My second thought was Steve will know... so I took a photo and uploaded it  :)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:06:33 PM »
Looks more like laminated grass doesn't it. Steve, where are you !! Only other thing I can think of is perhaps some sort of palmira?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:28 PM »
Some of the eucalyptus I have worked in the past has had a similar fibrous structure, as indeed do various palms. One other potential clue is the fine shavings fell upwards to the air filter, very light weight.

Still nice ring box from very cheap bits of timber at the end of the day, though I should have turned the box insert the other way round. Got late today so will finish polishing it tomorrow.

Offline RichardS

• iron
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 11:55:05 AM »
The Wood Database shows two of the Palm types Black Palm and Red Palm which is the more likely of the two.

Richard

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »
as some of you suspect this is not a wood but is in fact a Monocot, specifically this is Cocus nucifera more commonly called red palm.

easy to remember the palms chaps as they look nothing like wood...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 03:08:09 PM »
as some of you suspect this is not a wood but is in fact a Monocot, specifically this is Cocus nucifera more commonly called red palm.

easy to remember the palms chaps as they look nothing like wood...

Thank you Steve, good old coconut, the tree that is not a tree, and the nut that is not a nut  :)