Author Topic: want to talk turning?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
want to talk turning?
« on: March 29, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »
Being on the forum is really valuable for anyone wanting to discuss a specific subject but probably not so useful if all you need is a good old fashioned chinwag, normally this need is catered for at the regular club meeting..... probably over a cuppa-and-biscuit combo! Now, however, in these strange times of lockdown, I'm wondering how many isolated woodies are beginning to miss this healthy interaction.

Just in case my theory is correct I would like to throw out 2 invitations.
1)  To anyone out there in Woodyland who just wants to talk turning, share knowledge in either direction, generally chew the fat or even just blow raspberries at someone other than Boris for a change, drop me a PM, with an email address if you like (if you are concerned about security open a new address specifically for this purpose, which you can then discard when things return to normal, and, of course, dont share other contact details). Come on, don't be shy, just go for it, I'm happy to conflab on any woody-based subject.... or even no subject at all!
2)  I would also invite others reading this to join me and make a similar offer so that such folk have the choice of who they conflab with and whether a pen-pal style of contact is favoured over, perhaps, having a yarn with someone different as often as they fancy.

Please give it a little thought
Brian

Offline Bill21

• platinum
Re: want to talk turning?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 03:22:31 PM »
In these unprecedented times I’m quite surprised at the lack of new content on many forums. As I have extra time on my hands I’ve been posting more than I might normally but other folks are not for some reason? Quite why this is, is a mystery to me. I’ve also been phoning folks for a chat more often but not getting many return calls?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 03:32:17 PM »
Possibly because there are dozens of wood turning and woodworking sections on social media and many prefer those. If you look at the number of views and the number of responses to posts on nere it gets disheartening quite frankly and much easier to get a response on social media. Not just here, true of many of these forums which I believe are slowly dying as their raison d'etre is overtaken by other forms of communication.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
We are going down uncharted waters but I do think it is important to keep in touch, especially with our own local club members as perhaps the majority in a club fit into the over 70 bracket and may be some with underlying issues .  Whilst social media is fine if you are on it,  but nothing beats a chat on the telephone, perhaps only every couple of weeks as its going to be a long haul.  I am a member of the AAW and it amazing what they are putting out very regularly even with project to make you smile. 
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 03:55:54 PM »
There are several apps which allow video conferencing our family currently uses "Houseparty" it is a great way to interact whilst adhering to the guidelines. We could arrange a weekly club meeting or similar.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 06:05:33 PM »
I spent all day Saturday from 10am to 5pm in the company of up to 200 turners on the live demo done by Martin Saban-Smith, (I did post it on here) he is not the only demonstrator doing this. Yes the conversation is typed, yes I did spend a couple of hours of the demo with the tablet it was running on at that time perched on my bandsaw table while I got on with other things, so didn't interact.

But you know it did make me feel part of a community, While Martin was demonstrating questions got asked and answered and it didn't matter if you were answering or just reading it helped with this weird enforced isolation.

Having had a bone marrow transplant as part of cancer treatment, I already avoid people with infections, and in the winter that often leads me to spending days or sometimes a few weeks between house and workshop, but this feels different, and contact is good...

Martin is doing another live session on Tuesday night, his online events calendar is here: https://www.msabansmith.com/corona-schedule/ I know others with the kit are also putting their cancelled demo nights to use by doing live YouTube demo's if you know of any please add them to this thread.

As for sharing Email addresses, mine is already on my website, so I have no issue with putting it here as well, you can reach me on Pete@TwistedTrees.uk

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 08:02:03 PM »
i don't talk woodturning as such but i do talk wood species as anyone who knows anything about me knows that i am a bit of a brainbox on identifying timbers from all over the world.

pity no one is near slough (J7 of the M4) as you would be welcome to pop to the container and you can see more timbers than you will have ever clapped eyes on before and we could still keep 6-8' apart no problem.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
i don't talk woodturning as such but i do talk wood species as anyone who knows anything about me knows that i am a bit of a brainbox on identifying timbers from all over the world.

pity no one is near slough (J7 of the M4) as you would be welcome to pop to the container and you can see more timbers than you will have ever clapped eyes on before and we could still keep 6-8' apart no problem.

I was lucky enough to get a tour of the containers, well worth popping in when passing, if we are allowed to travel again.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 11:36:49 PM »
The AWGB are looking to host some online live chat (as in talking, not typing) sessions which you can log in and participate on a PC, Mac, phone or tablet with audio and optional video. More shortly once we get up and running...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »
The AWGB are looking to host some online live chat (as in talking, not typing) sessions which you can log in and participate on a PC, Mac, phone or tablet with audio and optional video. More shortly once we get up and running...

Problem with that is it descends into chaos quickly, we did it as a family today with 11 of us including 3 grandchildren, it was madness, but fun! at least with typing you can scroll up and down the chat a bit!

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »

Problem with that is it descends into chaos quickly, we did it as a family today with 11 of us including 3 grandchildren, it was madness, but fun! at least with typing you can scroll up and down the chat a bit!

That's not necessarily the case if you use something like Zoom. The host has control over the mic settings and can set them as mute or open. We had a Zoom session with 183 participants and everyone was able to speak directly to the host when they needed to plus of course there was a Chat Room running at the same time. You're able to download the entire chat session at the end of the meeting.
Some of us on the Forum were also in that session.

Interactive Remote Demos have been going since 2017 or so, and are now coming into their own. You can have your demonstrator link to your venue (not now of course) or direct to your members homes. Cindy Drozda on your living room TV? no problem and you can immediately interact with her.

The current trend to use FB or YT with questions via chat, is really where we were pre 2017 but I will say the quality of the video has improved since then.

The AWGB is learning the new tricks and as Paul says, you'll be able to participate from your own laptop. Enjoy!

I'm happy to provide links to some of the sessions on how to use the new tech if you as a demonstrator are interested or if your club wants to examine the benefits for their members. Also happy to set up a Zoom meeting with you to discuss.

David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 10:57:38 PM »
Agree with David  as a Zoom user no problems with talk over etc max I have had is 37 but for a 1 hour brief all able to contribute with Q & A  and its not rocket science to set up.

No pockets in shrouds spend it now