Author Topic: Cane Tops  (Read 1693 times)

Offline willstewart

• gold
Cane Tops
« on: March 28, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »
At the bottom end of the skill scale but useful; I have just made 18 for my wife who is a keen gardener.  They are largely for safety - to stop you injuring your eyes when bending down around thin canes.  You can use plastic bottles but where's the fun in that?!  And something useful to do with odd bits of wood whilst confined to home?

Pretty easy - around 50mm diameter and 90mm long with a 16mm hole most of the way through. These are elm but obviously could be other woods.  I made between centres 4-5 at a time and drilled afterwards on the lathe.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
Re: Cane Tops
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:59:45 PM »
Another good idea for odds and ends, I would be tempted to give them a bath in some form of fencelife type water based preservative even outdoor safe timbers will survive longer with some protection.

Though I am trying hard to discourage gardening, then I could replace all those muddy or green areas with workshop and wood store  ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 10:47:55 PM »
Good job. Much nicer than using plastic ones.

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 05:42:21 AM »
lol for some reason I immediately thought of walking stick tops. Good idea and very practical.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 02:37:40 PM »
Not every turning needs to be amazing.
Turners of yesteryear worked at this craft to make their living, they made what was wanted, what was needed. Food Bowls, kitchen utensils,little things like lace bobbins for that industry to parts for weaving and looms.

So well done for returning to the roots and making something practical, cost effective and not necessarily beautiful but certainly functional.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:40 AM »
Hi Will,
Thanks for the reminder for something to do, and keep us occupied. I will be doing a load of these for my allotments. But there's another version you might like to consider. If you make the hollow large enough, you can use it as the top for a cane 'wigwam' for runner beans and other climbers.
Cheers,
Paul
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »
Thanks All!

And Paul - you are right. And here is one (of a set) I made earlier in case it helps anyone.  About 65 mm dia & 140mm long, oak this time.  The only tricky bit is getting the holes angled correctly - I made this crude jig to go on my pillar drill - I am sure it could be done by hand but this is harder than one imagines!

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 01:37:33 PM »
Hi Will,  Now that's what I call doing the job properly!! I like the jig.

But my cane tops just use a larger diameter hole so it can accommodate about a dozen canes in the one hole. This also alllows the angle of the canes to be varied.

I wonder if anyone else has other ideas  on this.

And keeping on the gardening front, now is the time for making 'paper pot makers', garden dibbers and even replacement tool handles.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
I think I still have my garden dibber from doing my apprenticeship, as I recall it was the first identifiable object made. not made one since. the garden string line winder was a fun project that went to my father in law for his allotment.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)