Author Topic: Lampshade  (Read 1113 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Lampshade
« on: March 27, 2020, 11:24:39 AM »
More fun with Horse Chestnut - this time a lamp shade. This is the second of this style I have made - turned green and not sanded. The idea is that as the piece dries out, the fins start to distort and go wavy. Whether this will actually improve the look of the shade or not we shall see, but I'm having fun experimenting with distortion at the moment. Wall thickness of the internal wall is a shade under 2mm, the fins are the thickness of my parting tool. Sorry for the quality of the photos - turns out that lamps are quite tricky to get a good shot of on a phone (who'd have thought it...!)

The idea is that the external fins give the piece its unlit shape, and the internal wall gives a completely different shape when lit. It's very hard to try and convey this with bad photography though....

Offline Derek

• platinum
Re: Lampshade
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
If you want the fins to warp then place the piece in a bucket and pour boiling water over it, Then take it out and let it dry naturally this will make the fins warp uneven if you want to get an even warping then use something like wooden clothes pegs broken in half and push them in at different points.
You may end up with something like this which was my experimental piece

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:08:59 PM »
Nice work Percy, can we see a picture of it in about 2 weeks time please.

Also excellent idea with the pegs Derek, it is OK we won't tell about why all the pegs disappeared!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 03:26:24 PM »
I like this a lot. As you say, it is almost two entities, quite sculptural when 'off' and with an emphasis on the inner shape when 'on'. Lovely warm glow too :)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 04:45:54 PM »
Thanks for the comments, and cheers for the tips Derek. I'll post some more pictures of it once its moved a bit. I'll not post anything if it falls to bits!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 05:49:40 AM »
Now thats different and both ends of the warping spectrum thrown in for good measure :). It would sell well over here, odd lighting and craft type styles are popular.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 02:39:44 PM »
I've seen many lampshaded that were just that, thin walled shades, this is a whole new idea that hides what it is until it is turned on.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!