Author Topic: australian Mistletoe  (Read 1110 times)

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
australian Mistletoe
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:52:11 AM »

Picked up what looked like a burl of some description a couple of years ago. Finished in DO left it rough and called it Antiquity.
The history of this piece is a little interesting. What it looks like that it might be Parasitic plant that grows on lesser branches of Eucalyptus trees here. Commonly known as Mistletoe and in some areas the joint on the branch becomes a burl and can grow quite sizeable. This one approx 11" x 6" in its finished size so its quite old, maybe 30+ years.
Turning these is a bit of a gamble as you dont know how  much  wood is in it till you get going and in this case not too much. I had to leave  much thicker than usual as the collar/rim started to crumble away and I had the steady wheels running on it. for want of a name I called it Antiquity.
Not everybody's cup of tea so I look forward to your comments

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: australian Mistletoe
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:34:05 AM »
I like that. Very sculptural and artistic. Must have required some very careful turning. How did you finish it?

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 08:52:01 AM »
fascinating and rather beautiful!  Not quite the same as our mistletoe I think.  I am not sure how you did the shape - is this by hand or some more complex lathe?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 08:52:59 AM »
Love it. A great combinagtion of your signature style with the sort of work I love e.g. lt.s of natural defects. Perfick

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
I really like this. Must have been quite 'exciting' turning a lump like that!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »
Well that's one way to get a larger turning from a smaller piece of wood.

Stunning work as ever Hughie.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 08:23:43 PM »
Thank you for all the positive comments :)
Its a curious growth whilst common it doesn't grow on every gum tree  and the ones near me [ across the road]  are quite small and not worth bothering with. I doubt it is actually any sort of Mistletoe, its a parasitic type growth with different leaves and colour.
 The tricky part is just starting, where to hold without losing it and of course where you can place the lathe steady. It did look for the most part as reasonably solid plus is weighed a few kilos.
I like these sort of pieces although I would have used a scruffy looking burr and they are far more predictable and generally very solid in the woody area . This one took various turns as it progressed, speed got lower and lower, swapping back and forth on different hollowing tools always with CA on hand to stitch thing things up. Hollowing tools I use are mainly covered or shielded type and my own version of internal scrapers.
I normally would have turned it much thinner but the area around the steady wheels began to crumble, creaking and dropping bits off etc. I had to have the main body fairly solid in order to carve the spirals. The interesting aspect was it was so darn hard, harder than most of our burrs. Hard knotty cutting with the wheels jumping ever so slightly more with each cut,. So I left it as rough, never finished to the open/rim left as is.