Author Topic: Horse Chestnut vessel  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
Horse Chestnut vessel
« on: March 22, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »
Turned and carved green, not sanded. Quite pleased with it, which is just as well as I have a whole tree of this to mess about with.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Horse Chestnut vessel
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:47:08 PM »
What I can see looks like a good shape and is that piercing in it?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 07:49:01 PM »
It's just a carved pattern to add a bit of interest and texture. Have been playing with ideas from Liam Flynn's work (my wife got me his book for my birthday...)

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:58:43 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 05:53:44 AM »
I really like that form and you did a good job of keeping the curve flowing, especially through its upper half.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline John Plater

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 10:21:55 AM »
It's just a carved pattern to add a bit of interest and texture. Have been playing with ideas from Liam Flynn's work (my wife got me his book for my birthday...)

Nice one ! Good to see Fluid Forms offering inspiration ! It makes for essential reading in my view. Did any of your horse chestnut tree have any burrs ? If so, turn them green to as thin a wall as you dare and the translucency throws up some stunning patterning.
ATB John
If I had a better lathe, I would be able to show my ineptitude more effectively.

Offline Percy

• bronze
    • Percy Bishton
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. I have got some very large lumps and some bits of burr, and even the plainer bits look to have some interesting figure, so I will plough through some more and see what I can find. For sure, work won't get in the way of spending more time turning stuff for myself at the moment...

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »

Nice one ! Good to see Fluid Forms offering inspiration ! It makes for essential reading in my view. Did any of your horse chestnut tree have any burrs ? If so, turn them green to as thin a wall as you dare and the translucency throws up some stunning patterning.
ATB John

I also have a supply of Horse Chestnut (despite rouge pieces of Ash creeping in!) so took your advice and made this small bowl it's about 1mm thick took the picture in the window as i could see light coming through, but the camera didn't get it, will see what happens over the next couple of weeks....

I do like the form of this hollow form and the carving makes the piece

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)