Author Topic: New line  (Read 4868 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: New line
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
I do a lot of crafting tools which are relatively quick amd easy as well as using a lot of smaller wood. Have a look at my web shop here for ideas. Mind ypu most done with a skew LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2020, 06:30:21 PM »
Thanks to both John and Pete for putting this idea out on the forum. As the current situation makes getting out and about difficult does anyone else have ideas for small projects that can be done to stave off cabin fever?

I have spent most of today making beads from small off cuts that have lived under my bench for years waiting to be useful, though I did make myself a new handle for a spindle roughing gouge that had an uncomfortably slim handle previously.

Social isolation may at last cause all that pile of off cuts that were too good to throw away to finally be turned into something that can leave the workshop / wood store, perhaps it may even be tidy.... for 10 seconds ;)
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2020, 07:24:27 PM »
I am a dedicated horder of 'bits' amd things like these are a good way to use up those little bits amnd pieces that were just too nice to chuck. As a pro I have found over the years that a lot of the little scraps can become nice little earners as well.
I am lucky mind in having a collaborator with drawers full of lampwork, semi precious stones and heaven knows what from a past life as a jewellery maker so they are useful as well LOL.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 04:14:11 PM »
I am a dedicated horder of 'bits' amd things like these are a good way to use up those little bits amnd pieces that were just too nice to chuck. As a pro I have found over the years that a lot of the little scraps can become nice little earners as well.
I am lucky mind in having a collaborator with drawers full of lampwork, semi precious stones and heaven knows what from a past life as a jewellery maker so they are useful as well LOL.

Pete

Like yourself, I tend to see something and think "That it would be good for something or other" like the two packets of wooden beads in the cupboard as well as numerous other bits and pieces.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 06:08:50 PM »
It is good of Pete to give me the credit for these , I have been making them for years but to be honest I first saw them when I was working for someone in the antiques industry, it was one of those things that just stuck in my mind. Recently I brought a plank of wood from Yandles specifically for making needle cases, the grain on it was fine enough to allow a spiral decoration and threaded top, but as I got to the end of the bits that I had cut up I realised that I had used the best of the plank and the bits that were left would not take a thread or decoration so well, so I changed the design to the ones with a lace. I have to say Pete has made these his own by changing the beads to the decorative ones ( mine are just turned balls).
There is still room to develop these, made slightly longer they would take a felting needle, or they could be drilled with many smaller diameter holes to take drill bits for instance, loads of different options.
I like Alan's idea of getting ideas for small projects to stave of cabin fever (or pre-meditated murder as my wife calls it) ;D ;D I have started a facebook page for my club members and if I can work out how I intend to make some short how to videos so that our members can have a go at bits and pieces and then discuss ways to make or design changes, best timebers to use or colours, just like we would on club nights.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 07:52:38 PM »
I have made needle cases before and small things boxes, what attracted me to this was the thong lock I gave my first attempt to a friend who is a sewist /stabber of cloth with sharp things type person, as I can't design for what I know nothing about.

She liked it a lot, the thong is secure enough to keep the lid on in a bag, however she did make two design improvement suggestions.

1 Smaller than I made (I used 18mm internal) which is apparently a lot of needles.

2 Hollow out the top and make the bottom shorter so when opened the eye of the needles can be seen without tipping them all out. This is complex actually as it probably reverses the tenon, and will probably need double ended chuck mounting. Haven't done it yet but it is not unusual in box making and wont add many minutes to production time.

Separate thought and another use for the basic design especially with the fancy bead, it would make rather a nice box for all the pen makers out there.

TT (My new tag, I am actually another Pete, but that is already used!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:17:52 PM by Twisted Trees »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »
Pete thanks for the addition to this, I do sometimes make needle cases where the top is hollowed out too so that you can shake the needles into it to choose which one you want. As I said, there are loads of options to do.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 10:57:23 PM »
That's one of the advantages of having a female collaborator. Mo has already made a few suggestions along similar lines. Neeedles come in so many different lengths it will be necessary to measure the inside length when putting them up for sale. The idea of hollowing out the lid section was another on for the reaon given. Also (so SWMBO tells me) the best thing for the thong would be greek leather as kit kis better quality and consistent kin width or some form of natural cordage.  Like so many of these things the variations possible are endless.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »
This is my latest effort, the base was drilled 40mm (including the tenon) with a 15mm forstner, the lid 25mm with an 18mm giving 60mm needle length with any eye's on needles over 38mm or so visible when top removed. On this one the extra work added a silly not cost effective amount of time, but probably because the workshop was cold and I had the wrong music playing! The hardest part was making the bead, will need to figure out a good method or just buy them in!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 04:35:44 PM »
Interesting how we are all developing these in different ways.
Keeping them cost effective is obviously important to me otherwise I'd be gilding them etc Don't think I'd get my money bacjk though seen some antique ones in research that were valued in  three figures LOL.
Just done another one that is based on a medieval sty;e. No phots yet as just a prototype.

Pete

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 05:02:37 PM »
Somewhat reminiscent in some ways of the old wooden powder flasks. Riflemen often carried twelve of these if they could so they were called the Twelve Apostles.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/633213522/17th-century-priming-bottle-touch-box

They use the same type of gravity/friction fit as Japanese boxes to secure the lid.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »
Yet another style. DSo many variations on a theme.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Keeping them cost effective is obviously important to me otherwise I'd be gilding them etc Don't think I'd get my money bacjk though seen some antique ones in research that were valued in  three figures LOL.
Just done another one that is based on a medieval sty;e. No phots yet as just a prototype.

Pete

Though I can't bring myself to put small off cuts in the burn bin, I am quite happy to use them up prototyping, also able to forget the hours spent developing an idea and getting a turning rhythm that will achieve reasonable speed on utilitarian pieces like this, what I can't do is knock out a batch then sell them for the cost of the wood and 20p an hour!

As I have said before, I am lucky that this is just beer money to me, but that does not give me the right to sell cheap and under cut those who need to make a living from turning.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2020, 07:45:52 PM »

Pete

Though I can't bring myself to put small off cuts in the burn bin, I am quite happy to use them up prototyping, also able to forget the hours spent developing an idea and getting a turning rhythm that will achieve reasonable speed on utilitarian pieces like this, what I can't do is knock out a batch then sell them for the cost of the wood and 20p an hour!

As I have said before, I am lucky that this is just beer money to me, but that does not give me the right to sell cheap and under cut those who need to make a living from turning.
More power to your elbow. Lost counts of the arguments I have had over just this

Pete

Online Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 10:32:19 AM »
I was thinking of making a wood and brass needle case for my wife then I saw this on eBay. It was only £2.00 including postage when I bought it. The item that arrived was very nicely made.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wood-Sewing-Needle-Safety-Wooden-Organizer-Storage-Box-Case-Dark-Brown-Coffee/113972380179?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649