Author Topic: New line  (Read 4767 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
New line
« on: March 15, 2020, 04:07:57 PM »
or me at least. This is a prototype
The idea for these came from Bowler hatted turner (John Aitken) and are based on the japanese inros. One of my bread and butter works is crafting tools and equipment and these should make a nice addition to the collection.
This one is sycamore with a greek leather thong and some hand made lampwork beads for the tightening.
C&C welcome as always
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: New line
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 07:17:45 PM »
A really neat idea, Pete, and well photographed.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 07:27:44 PM »
As notes elsewhere, I like these and the idea behind them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 09:04:44 PM »
Thanks both, credit for the photos go to Mo though I did do a bit of manipulation in Photoshop.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 10:48:07 PM »
I like this, simple but effective semi fixed lid system. I like is so much I am going to make one tomorrow. I have one question though... How long are sewing needles? I do have some large embroidery needles in the workshop which are miss-used for various purposes, mostly for clearing CA glue nozzles! but don't really know much about sewing.

TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 07:59:08 AM »
Length of needles varies a lot. Basic needles are usually around 50 - 60mm but darning needles can be half as much again. Best to make them big enough to take most sizes. Also easier than trying to make them really small as you need at least 5mm holes for the thong.

Pete

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 10:51:04 AM »
Like this and the coloured bead sets it off nicely.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:04:20 PM »
Well this is my first attempt at the box, only realised when looking at the photo I had forgotten to sand the top after parting it off! also not sure the spiral pattern works on this wood. Only wooden beads too, didn't have any so quickly made some, coloured with red ink.

I am not happy with it, but will pass it over to a friend who does sewing to see if the size is about right, I made it 60mm minus the to tenon so about 2" and a smidgen needle length.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 06:48:24 PM »
Trying to see how you have used the cord? Looks as though it is going through the box.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2020, 07:15:44 PM »
Trying to see how you have used the cord? Looks as though it is going through the box.

Pete

No, the cord goes through a solid section below the bored out section for the needles crossing over itself to provide some friction, which is then 'locked' when the bead is pushed up against it.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2020, 07:20:29 PM »
OK. Looked again and I see it now. The original inros were usually flat not round and the cord ran down through a hole in the sides from top to bottom. The beads were usually carved (called netsuke) and were incredible with the detail on them. Wish I had the skill. Have to charge a heck of a lot more fpr them though LOL

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 07:57:39 PM »
I too have looked enviously at the skill of the sometimes microscopic detail in netsuke my eyes struggle to find the 4mm(my leather was thinner than yours) hole in a plain wooden bead!

Thank you for the idea, it was a fun project to make, though my choice of an old piece of purple heart wasn't the best timber to use, but it was an off cut that has been in my woodstore for a lot of years and about the right size! I will probably make a few more once I have feedback on sizing as I noticed a couple of things I could do better while making this one, and I do like the simplicity of the locking mechanism.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 08:05:31 PM »
I got the idea from John so credit to him.

Pete

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 10:14:05 PM »
All designs have happened before, so thanks to John and all who led to the pictures at the top of this thread where the idea reached my head  :)

Going to modify it a bit and get some flat leather thong that will sit nicely down the sides. Got a friend who is into sewing so will get size info feedback, this one was 18mm inside which is actually a lot of needles and at 24mm external may be bigger than desired in the sewing kit.

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2020, 01:43:23 PM »
Thanks to both John and Pete for putting this idea out on the forum. As the current situation makes getting out and about difficult does anyone else have ideas for small projects that can be done to stave off cabin fever? 
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!