Author Topic: Coronet Herald v Axminster AT350WL  (Read 4152 times)

Offline Billybones

• iron
Coronet Herald v Axminster AT350WL
« on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »
Hi all! I’m new to the forum and I was looking for some advice if possible please? Although a well-ish seasoned joiner by trade I’m new to wood turning. I’ve been doing some research for some weeks now and I think I’ve narrowed down the lathe I’d like to buy to 2 candidates, the Herald or AT350WL. I’d like to know your opinions as to which is the better of the two? Heralds seem to be very well spoken of, and the reviews on Axminster’s website seem to praise their offering. The Axminster seems to have a little more potential distance between centres, the Herald perhaps a bit more grunt and better guarantee but beyond this I’m not too sure. Any advice is most welcomed. Kind regards in advance. Paul  :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Coronet Herald v Axminster AT350WL
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »
Axminster without a shadow of a doubt.
A far superior lathe much more power.
I tested the Herald and I own 2 of the Axminster lathes and I know wich I would buy.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Billybones

• iron
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
Thanks George

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »

Yes 100% the Axminster they also give excellent after sales service.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:24 PM »
Agree with the choice with the Axminster lathe but I have had a couple of poor customer service albeit not an the lath but with band saw bearings the had no spares said they could get from America for £40+ went to local  tractor baring shop £3.50 plus vat
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »

I always get any Bearings I need from a local Bearing shop as long as you know the number no problem they are much cheaper and most of the time better quality.
                                                  Regards John

John Smith

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 12:00:30 AM »
Axminster without a shadow of a doubt.
A far superior lathe much more power.
I tested the Herald and I own 2 of the Axminster lathes and I know wich I would buy.

Regards George

Excuse my ignorance here please but, given that both lathes have (I think) a 1HP motor, how is the Axminster lathe much more powerful. Is it something to do with the belt ratios?

Offline Woodcrafts

• bronze
  • Passing on skills to the next generation
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 11:03:32 AM »
I have used both lathes and there is not much to choose between them on the basic specs. ( I should point out the motor powers are the same. In fact Record give the full spec of 1kw input, 750W output for the motor, whereas Axminster just state 750W without stating if this is input or output power.)

That said, the one big reason I would go for the Herald is that it has a swivelling headstock. This facility is not just for turning big bowls, it is extremely useful for turning items where you want to work more comfortably. When hollowing out boxes, or turning small bowls, you can swivel the head a little so you don't have to reach over the bed of the lathe and the tool handle is also clear of it.

The Herald also has a more substantial motor mounting plate compared to the thin steel plate of the Axminster, and the motor does not fill up with shavings. It also has a proper Emergency stop button, positioned in a sensible place.

One thing I do like about the Axminster, and is somethng I do, where possible on all the lathe conversions I do, to have a remote control box, allowing you  to position ON/OFF, FWD/REV and Speed control close at hand, wherever you are working on the lathe.
Regards,
Paul Bellamy - Woodcrafts

Offline Bill21

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:41:59 AM »
I’ve got the earlier model AT1416VS and it’s been very good. Unlike many other lathes it has a proper inverter drive rather than a cheap speed control. A friend of mine bought a RP lathe and returned it after having to fit three speed controllers and two motors. Many clubs and pro demonstrators use the Axminster so that speaks volumes. It also has a slightly larger bowl capacity than you might expect for its modest size. I can appreciate the earlier comment about swivelling the head (on the coronet) but you really don’t need to on the Axminster as you can easily remove the tailstock and work from the end, I do it all the time. There’s a lot to like about the Axminster that may not become apparent until you actually use it, one handed tailstock removal for example.