Author Topic: Chess set  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
Chess set
« on: March 01, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »
In January I received a small parcel from a friend in Australia - 2 pieces of wood which my friend had bought in Tasmania some 50 years ago - Huon Pine. He had written on the these small blocks (5in x 2in square) King and Queen. A little bit of investigation  and a lot of drawing led me to making a chess set - actually both black and whitish pieces. The black pieces were made from iroko and coloured whilst the white pieces were made from the huon pine and boxwood and simplt polished. Unfortunately the white queen took a bit of a knock(actually a catch) and lost a bit of her crown so she became a pawn. The Aussie king survived and is now united with an English boxwood queen!

Offline Mike313

• gold
  • Ancora Imparo
Re: Chess set
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
Nice work! Would look good on a wooden board :)

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 08:45:32 AM »
I agree with Mike - nice pieces but a wooden board would be good.  I made one with self-made sawn thick veneer squares a while ago - not hard to do. Or perhaps one could use pyro & stain.

Offline Dave Wraight

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
Hi Guys - cant do everything at once - yes a nice wooden board would be good  - on the cards for the next project - just thought I would put these photos out there while i was sending some off to my Aussie friend.
Dave

Offline David Holden

• copper
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
Brilliant work mate! Must have taken a lot of patience to do that.

The Queen being made into a Pawn, well some people need taking down a peg or two!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »
I take my hat off to anyone that can or does turn a full chess set.

Great work indeed.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline willstewart

• gold
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 08:44:12 AM »
It is fine but a lot of work.  But a good club project (as with our show competition last year).