Author Topic: Setting up Demonstration Filiming  (Read 1604 times)

Offline michaelb

• bronze
Setting up Demonstration Filiming
« on: February 25, 2020, 05:52:01 PM »
Our Club has decided to improve filming for demonstrations, we are thinking of an overhead camera and side camera with 2 monitors so guess some sort of device to switch from one camera to the other  also supporting overhead camera . Any advice or experience of type of equipment/set up would be a great help .Have budget of aprox £1k
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Setting up Demonstration Filiming
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »
Get as many teenagers enrolled as possible LOL.
Sorry, no practical help though sure someone will have some.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
One possibility is a CCTV system that will allow you to switch between cameras. I set one up for my club four or five years ago.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:57:49 PM »
Our Club has decided to improve filming for demonstrations, we are thinking of an overhead camera and side camera with 2 monitors so guess some sort of device to switch from one camera to the other  also supporting overhead camera . Any advice or experience of type of equipment/set up would be a great help .Have budget of aprox £1k

I'm currently in the process of upgrading the camera set up at our own chapter. Currently its one camera on a tripod with a long amr on it, no zoom and camera is usually out of focus. (It drives me daft!)

I'm planning on making a gantry to hang over the lathe. Going to put 2 6000K LED battens, one front and one back facing down to the lathe at about 45*. 2 new cameras, Sony CX-405's are plenty good enough. One looking down over headstock and the other on an adjustable arm at the tailstock end. Both wired back to a double socket on the gantry. New tv cabanit with 2 tv's, located near the headstock and viewable from the demonstrator too. Both cameras will have wireless remote zoom. I'll also be able to record from both, but I do all recording from my own cameras on tripod.

I'm planning this system so that we can unmount the cameras and use them along with tv's if we do a demonstration away from home base.

I've attached a sketch of what's in me head (stop laughing down the back there!)
Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:36:41 PM »
This is our club set up shown here in our newsletter

Offline michaelb

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 09:52:18 PM »
many thanks for all the tips and advice regarding getting it off the ground, bit of a minefield as whatever we come up with bound to be criticised, but hay ho,someone has to do it .. My Grandson has suggested gopro cameras connected WiFi to monitors via an App to a smart phone to control and zoom  hopeful my be able to get him to help to talk in language I understand.  What have I let my self in for.   
No pockets in shrouds spend it now

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 10:33:02 PM »
Going go pro wireless system sounds attractive and in theory gives a great flexible system. BUT.... it is only wireless because it runs on batteries so be sure about the time you want to use it for and battery life / remembering to charge them up etc...
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »
Also, I think you need to consider the image resolution. I have been to numerous turning clubs (doing demos) where cheap cameras were used and the image then displayed on a large screen via projector or on large TV sets. If any of the components puts a limit on the pixel resolution, then you will get a grainy image which is not very helpful to the audience.
Your standard 42" TV nowadays has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, and ideally your cameras and all other kit in between should be able to handle this, otherwise there will be fuzziness. Most cheap dashcams or camcorders won't support this, so watch out.

Online Tim Pettigrew

• bronze
    • Converting a garage to a woodturning workshop
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 02:41:19 PM »
Going go pro wireless system sounds attractive and in theory gives a great flexible system. BUT.... it is only wireless because it runs on batteries so be sure about the time you want to use it for and battery life / remembering to charge them up etc...
We use an almost identical system at Herts and Beds Woodturners (Hemel Hempstead) but using an AKASO EK7000 action camera (instead of the more expensive GOPRO).  The essential point here is that the camera can be operated independently of the battery simply by plugging in the battery re-charging cable (runs from a transformer and is also used to re-charge the battery when it is in the camera).  So you don't have to worry about the battery running out of charge in the middle of a demo. 

The resolution of the AKASO is 3840 x 2160.

Hope this helps?

Tim
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:47:57 PM by Tim Pettigrew »

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 04:50:25 PM »
Make sure you get the permission of the demonstrators before you start filming!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 06:23:55 PM »

Good point there is a world of difference between projecting an image for live viewing and saving those images as a film!
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Mayo Mick

• iron
    • View my site
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:32 PM »

I do all the photography and video in our chapter. It's the first thing I ask an outside demonstrator arfter introducing myself, is if its OK for recording and photograph. I intend at some point to put the demonstrations onto a dvd for chapter members to borrow to view back. Photos are used on our website and some are sent to our national guild for the quarterly magazine. I do explain this to each demonstrator beforehand. To date, no one has refused!

Re: video resolution, I'd recommend using HDMI cables for connecting cameras to tv's. 
Hobbies include woodturning, photography & following Mayo GAA. Hope to see Mayo win Sam sometime...