Author Topic: Dust extraction re-route  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
Dust extraction re-route
« on: February 21, 2020, 06:20:46 PM »
Since adding another lathe last year I have been putting off sorting out the dust extraction properly. I got fed up of the mess of lashed up pipes so I thought it was time to sort it out!

I moved the extractor from the middle of the workshop to the far end and routed the pipe to it over the roof joists so it was out of the way wherever possible. It took two days to sort it all out and to move all the other things like likes of wood etc. that were in the way by it now it's up and running.

For all the fixed pipework I used plastic 110mm waste pipes instead of the much more expensive 100mm pipes sold for dust extraction. I added 110mm to 100mm Reducers where it switches to flexible pipes.

One thing I didn't figure out was how I bought an extra five pipe clips and two blast gates and when I had finished, I had five pipe clips one Y joint and and three blast gates left over!  ???

I think the next job is another tool rack and a chuck rack...
I

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Dust extraction re-route
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 07:13:37 PM »
Lovely job, like the idea of jusing the waste pipes as well.
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 07:19:01 PM »
Those left over bits were because your final installation didn't cover something you thought of then forgot!

I am coming to the closing stages of my workshop overhaul that was set as a 6 month project last summer , sort of on time and not too much over budget.

Nice neat job there, have you done anything to remove the risk of static from plastic pipes? I was torn on that, but then used 125mm galvanised pipes as they were cheaper and killed the thought process.
TT, AKA Pete, but that name is taken :-)

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
A friend of mine has had a similar layout for many years & it works very well but what he found was over time static build up was resulting in the exterior of the pipe & the surfaces it was attached to to accumulate a build up of dust which considering its clipped to the ceiling was a remarkable amount, it also convinced him that he need to do something as clearly static was being produced.

He asked me to give him a hand sticking a run of aluminium tape the length of the ducting & to connect it to earth, this we did a couple of years ago now & to my surprise, as I was quite sceptical, it has worked & prevented any build up of static with the results that the pipe & ceiling are relatively dust free.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 01:30:03 AM »
I was thinking about doing something similar. Not sure it's essential but probably wouldn't hurt to do it.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I think it is worth doing, many years ago, struggling to get the top off of a box of talc to unblock it, I dropped the whole box on the carpet.When hoovering it up I was surprised at the amount of static that was generated but also the heat on the suction pipe. So although generally shavings are not as fine as the dustI would still imagine the static building up. Incidentally, it is an industry standard not to mix shavings and dust.
You system looks good Paul, don't worry about having bits left over, that always happens to me when I fix the car and it is still running!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:49:46 PM »
I just use the extractor for sanding dust and sawdust from the bandsaw. The shavings are shovelled up and disposed of separately.

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 09:55:15 PM »
I am sure that the static will be inside the plastic so tape along the outside won't dispose of it. I would think you need to get conduction through the bit where the dust is moving.

One solution I saw was tape along the outside with short self tapping screws every 18" or so to give conductors in the pipe.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 10:32:52 PM »
The static charge would be distributed throughout the plastic and as I'm sure you know, it is impossible to earth an insulator so it probably doesn't make much difference where the conductor is situated!
On the mk1 system dust was collecting on the outside of the pipes and on the walls next to the pipes so it will be interesting to compare what difference an external conductive tape has on the dust build up, which is probably a reasonable indication of static charge. Maybe not entirely scientific but close enough!

Offline Twisted Trees

• platinum
  • Bristol, UK
    • Twisted Trees
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »
I did look into static in the planning stage, but as Galv 125mm pipe was cheaper than plastic I went that route and stopped looking! mixed opinions out there.

Personally I think the sometimes quoted explosion risk is more for finer products (like talcum powder) the "static cling" is more of a problem for woodwork. I would tape it just to make the walls look cleaner!

My system now extracts direct to a garden waste recycling bin which the council takes away for me so it is dust and shavings in there, and occasionally some bits of plant stuff from the actual garden!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 06:06:24 PM »
The council collections here refuse to take the fine dust, they cite health & safety. They seem happy enough to take the shavings from turning and chainsaw.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
All my shavings and dust go to my wife's horse yard, where they are used to soak up excess moisture in stables and shelters. Finally it all ends up on the manure heap, where it gets rotted and eventually recycled into compost. Circle closed. I would recommend that all turners who dispose of their shavings/dust via the council to consider contacting local horse yards to do the same.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
Mine go to people for chickens, garden etc via Freecycle. I was informed that walnut, particularly black or american walnut, can be dangerous for horses so tend to avoid or at least warn horse owners that there is walnut in them. Better safe than sorry.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities